pegleg

How Do I Determine The Value Of Items?

I have some Frankoma items from my mothers' estate, and am trying to determine the value. I have the following items: 97U in what I believe is Prairie Green (a smallish container with a lid and a curved handle); a 201 serving dish, Prairie Green, and a small cup and saucer, Prairie Green---I can't make out the numbers or letters---it could be "OOS" or "005", can't tell for sure.

Thanks for any advise!

I have some Frankoma items from my mothers' estate, and am trying to determine the value. I have the following items: 97U in what I believe is Prairie Green (a smallish container with a lid and a curved handle); a 201 serving dish, Prairie Green, and a small cup and saucer, Prairie Green---I can't make out the numbers or letters---it could be "OOS" or "005", can't tell for sure.

Thanks for any advise!

There are a couple of books which list values for those items. Schaum's book (latest edition) lists:

97U - Ramekin with cover. If it's Sapulpa clay, $35-40 or about $10 more if Ada clay.

201 Flower bowl 9" - $12-15 in Sapulpa clay, $45-60 in Ada.

Without more information on the cup and saucer, it's hard to be certain, but they're typically not worth much. Saucers in most paterns are $3-7 and cups are usually about the same

In my experience the prices in Schaum's book are typically a bit on the low side, so you might be able to get a bit more than the above prices if you have a wiling buyer.

Perhaps I can shed some light on two of your pieces. The 97U is a Barrel Ramekin with lid. Frankoma made this piece from 1950 to 1961. If your 97U is made of light-colored Ada clay, it was made prior to 1954. Frankoma began using a dark red clay known as Sapulpa clay in 1954. The 97U in Sapulpa clay is valued at $35-40. The 97U in Ada clay is valued at $45-50. That's a nice piece, and it isn't often seen.

The 201 9-inch Flower Bowl has an even longer history with Frankoma. It was made from 1936 to 1991. Since the 201 mold goes back to 1936, the value of your bowl must be determined by the mark on the bottom. Those bearing the "Norman mark" (the mark Frankoma used when its operations were located in Norman, Oklahoma) have the greatest value: $100-125. There are a variety of Norman marks, and you will have to submit a well-focused photo of the bottom of your bowl in order for it to be dated. A 201 in Ada clay (made after Frankoma moved to Sapulpa) is valued at $45-60, and a 201 in Sapulpa clay is valued at $12-15.

As for the small cup and saucer you describe, I am at a loss. There was a demitasse cup and saucer in the Plainsman dinnerware series with the respective numbers 5DC and 5DE, but I am unable to find anything else that might be your cup and saucer. Again, a good photo would be very helpful.