2 14 oz. cans of Italian diced tomatoes

1 14 oz. can of tomato sauce

1 6 oz can of tomato paste

1/4 cup of beef broth

1/4 cup of a decent red wine

1 Tbsp Italian seasoning

1 tsp oregano

1 tsp basil

1 tsp garlic powder (a clove of crushed garlic would be best)

1/2 tsp black pepper

1 tsp sugar

box of lasagna noodles (I prefer Barilla)

1 lb. freshly grated Mozzarella cheese

16 oz. Ricotta cheese

8 - 10 oz. Parmigiana cheese (use the fresh kind in the refrigerated section)

Directions:

In a large pot brown the ground beef and Italian Sausage with the onion. After its browned add the red bell pepper, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, beef broth, red wine and all of the above seasonings. Bring to a slight boil and then reduce and let simmer for about 2 hours until its thicker. If needed during the cooking you can add additional liquid (either tomato sauce, red wine or add some beef broth). Make certain you stir occasionally

When the sauce is done you now need to cook the noodles. Fill a large pot with water and then add a little Olive Oil to the water and cook the noodles according to the package directions.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F

Now you need to assemble the lasagna. In a 13 x 9 baking dish (I use glass) spoon the meat sauce mixture on the bottom. Now put a layyer of the Noodles lengthwise, overlaying the noodles. Next spoon the meat sauce over the noodles. On top of that sprinkle 1/3rd of the grated Mozzarella cheese, then place 1/3 of the ricotta cheese on top of that. This cheese is real sticky so I simply take my time and put little dollups throughout. If you put them close enough they will melt nicely together. Then on top of that spinkle 1/3rd of the grated parmigiana cheese. Now repeat layers (noodles, meat sauce and cheese) until you are at the top of the baking dish. You should have 3 layers. Make certain the cheese (Mozzarella, Ricotta and parmigiana) is the last thing you put on. Now cover the dish with aluminum foil (tent it) making certain you DO NOT touch the cheese.

Now place the lasagna in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

Now enjoy. :)

David