Sign in to follow this  
labinski

The World's Largest Gingerbread Man Seen In Smithville, Tx

A Quick Texas Events Report

by Steve Labinski

Twas a sunny Saturday morning, when I awoke with a start.

I caught a quick blip on Austin's local news: the World's Largest Gingerbread Man to be unveiled in Smithville later that day as a part of the town's Festival of Lights Celebration.

Away to my car I flew in a flash.

Grabbing my camera, counting my cash.

For those of you unfamiliar with Central Texas, Smithville is a charming little town down Highway 71 from Austin, just past Bastrop. Today's Festival of Lights was proceeded in the daytime by the town's First Saturday Arts Festival. For the occasion, Smithville's Main Street is turned in a walking plaza where visitors can shop for all kinds of locally created pottery, crafts and other things. And, as it turned out, I didn't need much cash - a candy gingerbread man cost just one dollar. And so were the prices of various hand decorated Christmas ornaments for sale.

Walking past numerous antique stores, Main Street ends. And there he stood: The World's Largest Gingerbread Man, not made out of real gingerbread mind you. Weighing over 1,300 lbs. he's all metal, and he stands smiling happily, nestled under the trees by the railroad tracks.

It looked like at any moment the Gingerbread Man could come alive- much like the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man in the 1980s movie Ghostbusters. But he just stands there, welcoming everyone to town. This giant figure is a friendly guy, making the afternoon day trip worthwhile.

Smithville Chamber of Commerce Website -> http://www.smithvilletx.org/

smithville2008_a.jpg

smithville2008_b.jpg

Austin, TX -- labinski@texascooking.com

A few more photos:

Below - standing in the Historic Downtown District, at the very beginning of the street fair.

smithville2008_f.jpg

Showing some leg on Main Street.

smithville2008_c.jpg