KarenC

Grandma's Cornbread Dressing And Giblet Gravy

Karen --

Perhaps I'm prejudiced, but it's my recipe and I make it every Thanksgiving. It's the best, as far as I'm concerned. If you have any specific questions about the recipe -- the cornbread, dressing or gravy -- ask away. It was my mother's recipe (she's the Grandma in Grandma's Cookbook). She passed it down to me and my sister and our children and now, through the Internet, who knows how many thousands of people.

Actually, I never went by a recipe either. I had just watched and helped my mother make it so many times. It wasn't until I wanted to share it with the Texas Cooking readers that I wrote it out.

I have used this recipe for the last 4 -5 years . It is a great recipe and it comes out perfect everytime.

My mom made hers just like this, but she never wrote her recipe down. When I found this recipe and it turned out so well, I was thrilled.

I have used this recipe for the last 4 -5 years . It is a great recipe and it comes out perfect everytime.

My mom made hers just like this, but she never wrote her recipe down. When I found this recipe and it turned out so well, I was thrilled.

I tried it this Thanksgiving and I will definitely be making this again. Thanks for sharing it

I was wondering whether or not there were any reviews from folks who actually tried this recipe? It looks very good and I want to try it for Thanksgiving.

Sorry to not reply 'til after the Holidays, but I was delighted with these recipes! The key factor is that the "Cornbread" recipe does NOT contain any flour! Real Texas cornbread never has flour, not even a few tablespoons, and this recipe is the real thing! Excellent, and made the Dressing at both Thanksgiving and at Christmas, plus have made the cornbread as a Stand Alone recipe, and it is exactly the way my grandmother's and mother's turned out....Thanks!!

Suzanne

I always just go by feel, smell and taste too.

One thing I will add though.

To make sure you get REALLY good cornbread dressing, it is best if the cornbread is at least 3 days old.

It doesn't have to be dried out.

Afgter my cornbread is thoroughly cooled, I wrap it with plastic wrap to keep it fresh, but setting the three days, deepens the flavor of the cornbread and that enhances the flavor of your dressing.

I have a food saver, and seal up my left overs and freeze them in single serving packets. Then hubby and I can have whatever we want for dinner, on nights we don't want to cook.

It works to heat the packets in the microwave, but the flavor is much better if you heat them in a pan of boiling water.

Just get the water boiling and dump in the packets, and bring to boil again. Usually about 15 minutes is enough to heat it well.

We have kept leftoves for months this way, and when you cut open the heated packet and take out the food, it tastes just like it did when you first made it, except for the turkey or chicken and cornbread dressing.

I put in the gravy, then the dressing, and then the turkey or chicken, and seal it up. It is best if the grazy is cold enough to be more solid, to get a better seal.

For some reason, when that sets together for a few weeks or months, the flavors blend more or something.

I just know it is MUCH better than it was when it was fresh made.

Just keeping it in the fridge an eating it as we usually did leftovers doesn't do that to it, nor does packaging it any other way for the freezer, but in those sealed vacuum bags, something happens to it that makes it the best turkey and dressing with giblet gravy I ever tasted.

My daughter -in-law puts chopped boiled eggs in her giblet gravy.

I had never had it that way before.

It is interesting for a change,. but I prefer it without the boiled eggs, just a little bit.

Charlotte

I was wondering whether or not there were any reviews from folks who actually tried this recipe? It looks very good and I want to try it for Thanksgiving.

OK, what recipe????? and where is it. OK, what recipe????? and where is it.