susan

Real Frankoma From Ebay

I have purchased several items on ebay, however, I am uncertain if they are real Frankoma Pottery. For instance, I purchased a white glazed Madonna. She is beuatiful, has Frankoma stamped underneath in black and looks just like the Indian Madonna in bisque. Same size. Is she really Frankoma?

It's impossible to say, without a photo, if your piece is genuine. Even measurements would help. What is the height of the piece? Frankoma made two Madonnas: the #126, which is 5-3/4" tall and was made in 1941 only, and the #F104 Praying Madonna, 9-1/2" tall, which was made from 1960 to 1963. The thing that puzzles me is that you say the name Frankoma is stamped on the bottom in black ink. The black ink stamp was used only in the 1930's.

You also refer to the Indian Madonna. Do you mean the #101 Indian Maiden (yes, her head is bowed and her hands are clasped together)? A photo, including a shot of the underside, would be very helpful.

It's impossible to say, without a photo, if your piece is genuine. Even measurements would help. What is the height of the piece? Frankoma made two Madonnas: the #126, which is 5-3/4" tall and was made in 1941 only, and the #F104 Praying Madonna, 9-1/2" tall, which was made from 1960 to 1963. The thing that puzzles me is that you say the name Frankoma is stamped on the bottom in black ink. The black ink stamp was used only in the 1930's.

You also refer to the Indian Madonna. Do you mean the #101 Indian Maiden (yes, her head is bowed and her hands are clasped together)? A photo, including a shot of the underside, would be very helpful.

Actually, fake Frankoma pieces are not very common. Because of the nature of the clay, someone would have to copy both the clay and the glaze appearance which is more trouble than it's worth - particularly since most Frankoma pieces are quite reasonably priced.

If I were buying a very expensive piece, I'd make sure to buy it from a reputable dealer or have an arrangement where you can have it evaluated by an expert after receiving it, but the risk is not very high for Frankoma.