scuzmuffin

Value Of English Setter Statues

Hello...

We have been unpacking my Grandmothers things and have found a pair of English Setter statues. They measure about 4"x5" and the glaze is a bronzish brown with green patina. The makers mark is sort of blurry at the end but it reads ...FRANKO??... on one statue and is barely visible on the other. After reading some of the posts I think the clay is Ada as it is kind of a golden mustard color. They are in excellent condition.

Are these Frankoma pieces and can you tell me the value if they are?

Thank you.

P.S. I wanted to put a picture in but don't know how.

Hi Scuz, I'm a fellow newbie like yourself and you'll most likely get more definitive answers from the helpful experts/admins here, but I thought I'd take a crack at answering your question. It sounds like your figurines are mold #163 mini English Setter by Frankoma. The glaze is probably prairie green. If you do a search on Ebay for Frankoma and "prairie green" you will see some examples of items that have this glaze. According to various items previously sold on Ebay the actual size of this item is 3" tall by 4 1/4" long. I'm going to try to include a photo from a recently closed Ebay auction. In order to do so, I will click on the insert image button (2nd icon to right of smiley insert icon)

rte-image-button.png

and then provide a link(you have to first upload your image to a website webstorage area...cox provides one for me)

260255385176_1_0_1.jpg

Hope I didn't overstep my bounds.

Danny in Yorktown, VA

Bounds? What bounds? This is a forum for all things Frankoma and, whether you're a newbie or a knowledgeable collector, you're welcome to question and comment.

Danny may be correct, but there is alternative. Frankoma made two setter figurines: the #163, which was made from 1942 to 1957 and is known as the Small English Setter, and the #141 Large English Setter, which was made from 1934 to 1949. The #163 is a mere 3 inches tall, and the #141 is 5-1/2 inches tall. I recommend that you get the ruler out and measure your figurines because book values for these pieces are as follows:

#163 Sapulpa (red) clay - $125-150

#163 Ada clay - $150-200

#141 Ada clay - $200-250

#141 with Norman mark (that is, a perfectly round "O" in Frankoma) - $300-350

If you can post a photo of your figurines, including one of bottom of the most legible piece, it would be very helpful. You can do this by uploading your photo to one of the free photo storage sites like Picasa (see http://picasa.google.com/ ) or SnapFish (see http://www.snapfish.com/helpstorage#quality ) or PhotoBucket (see http://photobucket.com/ ). If you google "photo storage website" or "free online photo storage" you will find lots of options.

But please let us know what your ruler tells you.