Danny

Ada Clay Ocelot Bookend Info Needed

I have included a picture of the side and bottom of one half of a Walking Ocelot bookend set. As I mentioned in a previous email, my GF's father worked for Mr. Frank in the early 1930's and believes he was involved in the process of creating this particular piece. I'd like to verify the color of the glaze and any information about the rather nondescript marking on the bottom. It may be difficult to see but the O in FRANKOMA is etched/embossed/imprinted much more deeply than the other characters.

Thanks.

Danny in Yorktown, VA

ocelotside.jpg

ocelotbottom.jpg

The color of your #424 Walking Ocelot Bookend is definitely Ivory. The backstamp further confirms its value in that it's the Frankoma backstamp with the perfectly round "O", which was used prior to the 1938 fire that destroyed the new Frankoma plant in Sapulpa. That disastrous fire destroyed most of Frankoma's molds and, apparently, destroyed not only the "O" backstamp, but the cat mark backstamp that was also used during that time period. The hand-incised backstamp Frankoma used after they were up and running again (1940s through the early 1950s) had an oblong "O".

And, by the way, I did a little more investigating after your previous post and discovered that the book value on a single #424 is $700-800. This is a beautiful piece of Frankoma and, although your girlfriend isn't interested in parting with it, it's still nice to know its value.

Thanks so much for all the information. My GF's sister remembers a figurine that their parents had that must be the Indian Bowl Maker (#123?). She believes her Dad obtained it around the same time(early 1930's) as the Walking Ocelot bookends. My GF doesn't recall seeing it until the early 1950's so it could be a somewhat more recent piece. The Indian Bowl Maker had the same ivory glaze as the Ocelot. Unfortunately, they are no longer in possession of the figurine so no additional information(Ada vs. Sapulpa clay....type of backstamp) will be forthcoming. Any ideas on a range of values(early 30's vs early 50's) or a bit of backstory about the history of the Indian Bowl Maker?

I want to take the time to thank you and the other experts for all your help and information. Having a bit of backstory/provenance about each piece only adds to its value, even if only as a memory...IMO.

Thanks again.

Danny in Yorktown, VA