My brother came back from Maine and brought me 2 lobsters. I put them in some cold water (did not submerge them)and I went someplace with my son and grandchildren when I came back a few hours later, the lobsters were dead and so my son and I boiled them up immediately. We boiled them for around 10 minutes or so and they were mushy! I've cooked lobsters before and that never happened, but I pretty much cooked them right after I bought them.

So could someone please tell me what I did wrong (if anything) or is it possible that the lobsters my brother bought were bad to begin with. (I hope not because he bought 2 cases and they were properly boxed up for the trip home.)

I'm no expert on cooking lobsters, but I've read that they should be cooked as soon after delivery as possible and, also, that putting them in tap water will kill them. However, the lobsters you received may not have been in very good shape to begin with. One hopes that the lobsters sold to tourists are freshly caught, but I don't think that's always the case. Finally, I also read that overcooking lobsters will make them mushy.

I love lobster but yeah they couldve been in bad condition to begin with as mentioned before. did you still eat them anyway?