Hi,

I recently made a number of purchases of various Fiestaware, mostly 1940s vintage or earlier. I recently received a number of bowls purchased by auction which looked good in the pictures but when arrived have left me very suspicious. The bowls are in brand new condition, however the glaze was applied very, very thinly leaving light marks along the rim of the bowls as well as on any other raised areas.

The bottom of the bowls are marked:

HLC

fiesta

MADE IN

USA

which leads me to believe they are of an earlier vintage. There is no other marking such as "H" to indicate a more recent vintage. As far as I know, during this marking period of Fiestaware of the red color options, only orange-red was produced. These bowls are definitely a pinkish orange-red salmon color, rather than the other more common shade I've come to expect.

I did check them w/ a geiger counter and they are not of the radioactive type. The rings on the bottom of the inside of the bowl do not narrow, but are evenly spaced, which I understand is a big giveaway to their not being genuine.

Lastly is the form of the text on the bottom of the bowls. The fiesta logo, while in its traditional cursive form, has a change to the "f" I've never before encountered. Rather than the anchor-shaped line that forms the crossing of the "f", on these bowls there is instead a curly-cue done for the top of the "f" flourish. Has Homer Laughlin ever used a curly cue font style before?

I would appreciate any information that can be given, as I've seen more of these bowls being sold at a local antique mall for $25 a piece.

Thanks for your help,

James

Hi,

I lent out my camera, so the only pictures I can show you are those that were sent by the seller to me originally--- at this link: http://www.imagebam.com/image/ee2c328527733 .

As you can tell they are definitely not apricot edition. The light spots throughout are areas where the underlying ceramic shows through the glaze. Also the backstamp is difficult to make out. The point is the "f" is not crossed, but rather is looped at the top, which I have never seen on fiestaware before.

Also difficult to make out are the rings in the bowls' interior, on the bottom. Hard to tell from the photo, but they do not get closer together but rather are evenly spaced, another giveaway I understand to a counterfeit maker.

Hopefully I can post better photos later.

Thanks for your help,

James

It's a little hard to tell from your photo, but the bowl looks to me like the medium bowl that comes with every boxed Fiesta place setting (described on the box as "soup/cereal bowl". This bowl measures just under 7" in diameter (rim to rim across the top). I have about dozen of them in all the Post-86 colors, and they look like yours -- same backstamp, same four equidistant concentric circles.

As for the thin glaze, Post-86 Fiesta is more likely than vintage to reveal thin areas, since the old process was to hand-dip the pieces, and the new process sprays the glaze on the pieces. That said, some Post-86 pieces are heavily glazed; I have a Juniper medium bowl with a glaze so heavy I can barely make out the backstamp.

As to the color, it looks like Persimmon to me. It's very hard to tell from a photo because less-than-perfect lighting conditions can really alter the appearance of a glaze.