ChloeBlack

Need Help Identifying A Frankoma Piece

I've never had any experience with Frankoma pottery, and I'm trying to identify a piece for my mother that she recently found. Unfortunately I don’t have any photos of the piece (I do not have access to a digital camera). I found a picture on ebay, however, that looks almost exactly like our vase (only it's not in the same color). That photo is below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/Chl...ankoma_vase.jpg

Our vase is approximately 9 ½ inch (technically I believe it was closer to 9 and 3/8th inch), and looks exactly like the one above, only it is brown with a green glaze. The top is approximately five inch, with a base approximately 4 (slightly over) inch. It has a gold sticker that reads: "original creation by Frankoma" and is stamped on the bottom. But Unfortunately, the stamp is not entirely legible (which is why I can't identify it well myself). One can only make out the "ankoma" clearly (held in the light you can see the full word "frankoma"), and there is (or was) something else below it, but it's completely eligible (all I can make out is either an A or a 4, but that's a guess).

I don't imagine it's anything extraordinary, but it is an interesting piece to us, having little experience with pottery. It would be nice to know for sure exactly what it is, and whether it's actually as old as the faded lettering would suggest, or if it's from the newer collections. It's an interesting piece, and doesn't appear flawed in any way except that I can't make out the stamp on the bottom to properly identify it. I'd be very grateful if someone could help me identify it. Getting the picture on ebay (which isn't necessarily a reliable source as far as what item number it might be) that's apparently the same vase with a different glaze was as close as I could get myself. Thanks for any and all help on this matter :)

Your mother's vase is a #64 9-inch octagonal vase, and the glaze color, as you describe it, is Prairie Green. This vase was quite popular and had a long run with Frankoma beginning in 1974 and continuing into the 1990s. Since it was so popular, there are lots of them to be found, and its book value is $10-12. But I agree with you; it's an interesting piece.

Thank you for such a quick response. It's good to know more about the background of the piece, and which it is. I appreciate it :) My mother will be pleased to know what piece she actually found. I have to say in my research I saw quite a few interesting Frankoma pieces. I hope we're able to locate some more, many of them are really quite fascinating.

It's easy to get hooked on Frankoma. At least, it was for me. The company has such an interesting history and, whether your taste runs to art pottery or dinnerware or both, there is such a variety of interesting and beautiful pieces. So if you do have an inclination to learn more about Frankoma, take this as fair warning: You, too, could get hooked.