smidget

Need Hlp With Info. On Signed Plate

Hello, I recently aquired a Frankoma Dinner Plate, Desert Gold in color with many signatures on the front of it. Signed by Roy J. Turner (Governor of Oklahoma), Richard Rodgers, Mary Hatcher, James Parnell, Patricia England and James Parnell, just to name a few. I have been unable to find any information on this piece. I assume that since Roy J. Turner (Governor of Oklahoma) signed this piece, that is was produced during him term in office (Jan. 13, 1947 - Jan. 8, 1951). Can you please give me any other information on this piece such as time frame of piece (if I am incorrect), why this piece was made, what it was made for, and what this piece is worth. I have never seen one before and thought that it might be something rare. Also, can you give me some information on the other people that signed this piece? Thanks for your help. If you need pictures I'll be happy to post them.

I think this may be a plate in reference to the "Oklahoma" musical and signed by the cast since there is no mold number on the back of the plate as with most Frankoma. Let me know what anyone thinks.

I think Smidget is definitely onto something. I did several Google searches and found references both to James Parnell being a dancer in the Broadway version of Oklahoma!, as well as a Wikipedia page on Mary Hatcher, who apparently "... had recently been singing with Howard Keel in the extended Broadway run of Oklahoma!..." around 1950. Mary Hatcher played the female lead, Laurey, only in the touring company versions of the musical.

Oklahomans were very proud of the smash success and acceptance of the musical Oklahoma!. It would be no surprise that Frankoma made a commemorative piece in its honor, and obtained signatures of cast members for it. Oklahoma! ran on Broadway from March 31, 1943 to May 29, 1948, and was followed by a ten-year national tour. I suspect that the national tour took it to the state of Oklahoma sometime after the Broadway run -- probably around 1950 -- and that your plate was produced around that time.

Your plate is a really interesting piece. I've never seen another like it and, if you can post a photo, that would be wonderful. I'm sure it's something all Frankoma fans would love to see.

I have sent an email to to Frankoma.org to find out more about this plate and to see if I am correct in my suspicions. Here are some links to the picture that I have uploaded for email purposes.

Check out these photos and tell me what you think?

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/3/3/2/5/4...139621958_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/3/3/2/5/4...139621983_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/3/3/2/5/4...139622027_o.jpg

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/6/3/3/2/5/4...139622106_o.jpg

Smidget

Hey everyone, I sent messagages yesterday to two different people about this plate. I just got one of my replies back from Frankoma.org about this plate. She states that this plate does exist and she thinks that only about 10 exist. I am waiting for my second second reply. Once I find out more I'll be sure to let everyone know.

I notice that the plate bears the signatures of both Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein. You know, Oklahoma! was the first musical written by composer Richard Rodgers and lyricist Oscar Hammerstein. Very nice.

I just got a reply from Donna Frank (daughter of John Frank founder of Frankoma Pottery) regarding this plate. Please read below the email that I copied & pasted into this message.

Hello, Tracie!

You've done your homework, so thanks for doing my work for me!

Yes, sometime during Gov. Roy J. Turner's term in office, "Oklahoma" opened on Broadway. Dad took all their signatures and put them on a Plainsman pattern Plate, and all of them received a set as a gift from Gov. Turner and Frankoma Pottery. I imagine most of them have passed on by now, and I suspect more of these plates will be showing up. However, there were not that many made. None were made for anyone else but the cast and Gov. Turner. By the way, the glaze color is called "Desert Gold."

Because that was a special order, it is not listed in any of the values books that have been written. If you're looking to sell it, let me know, and I'll tell you where you can list it for sale.

Hope this helps . . .

Donna Frank

Frankoma Family Collectors Association

National Secretary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Get trade secrets for amazing burgers. Watch "Cooking with Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No virus found in this incoming message.

Checked by AVG.

Version: 8.0.100 / Virus Database: 270.0.0/1489 - Release Date: 6/7/2008 11:17 AM