siberianwolf

Cast Iron Frying Pan

Hello to all my new friends,

I live in New Zealand and my name is Katya. Today I was lucky enough to find an 8; B enjamin Medwin cast iron frying pan at our Church Op shop. I do not know who owned it previously but it has not been properly cared for and I would like to restore it to its former glory. To have a cast iron frying pan...a good one has always been a dream of mine. So here we are. The problem with this one as I see it is that it has raised surfaces in it as if it harbours little bits of hard cooked foods or maybe it is just some rust. Either way I cannot remove the unev en surfaces and I do not want to do more harm than good. So I need some HELP !! SOS!!! I washed it in just very hot water and dried it off with kitchen paper and a drying cloth, then I oiled it twice and sudeenly thought of looking on the internet and do the restoration properly...so here I am asking some kind person to please help me. Many thanks Katya.

Katya --

Welcome! and always glad to hear from New Zealand. There's an article on TexasCooking.com called How to Love Your Cast-Iron Skillet that contains just about all the information you need to get your skillet into shape. It's important, though, to remove those little baked on bits. Since cast iron is practically indestructible (its only enemy is water), you can scrape the surface hard with a metal spatula or even use a fine grade of sandpaper or steel wool. Then you'll be ready to season it properly and use it for years and years.

Let us know if you run into any problems.

Hello, I just remarried and moved in with my new husband and found an old cast iron skillet among his pots and pans. I understand how to recondition (believe me this one needs it...lol) but I need to know if an iron skillet can be used on an electric glass cooktop. Is there anyway that an iron skillet can hard the glass cooktop? :blush:

Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated.

I do not think a cast-iron skillet or pot would harm a glass cook-top. If there are any rough edges on the bottom of the skillet, you can smooth them with sandpaper. Then you wouldn't have to worry about scratches. And, because cast-iron utensils are heavy, you'd need to be careful about not setting the skillet down too hard. I don't have any personal experience with a glass cook-top, but I imagine they are pretty sturdy.

Dear plm555,

Thank you sooo much for your input on this! I grew up using a cast iron skillet in my mother's home but we had a gas stove. These new glass top stoves are sure nice when it comes to cleaning up but I really am afraid to hurt it sometimes. lol I will check for rough edges on the bottom of my "new" pan and be careful.

Thanks again and God Bless,

Teresa :D

My mnother had a glasstop rangetop and it was recommended not to use any type of pot or pan with a ridge around the bottom as is usual on some cast iron skillets. The bottom of the skillet needs to be in complete contact with the cooking surface. This was a number of years ago when glasstop ranges were relatively new. The technology may have changed in recent years. I would consult your manufacturers manual for any concerns.

My 10-inch cast iron skillet that I use all the time (and is very old but in tip-top condition) has no ridge on the bottom. It's completely flat. I'll have to check my big 12-incher because it's a new model. Thanks for the info and, you're right, the cook-top manual will surely make mention of any problem cast iron is likely to cause.

When I was a kid, my grandmother had a cast iron frying pan. She used it for everything and it held up well. Cast iron pans are kind of heavy (well the one I last had). My grandmother didn't take care of her frying pan because it became a thick black because all of the layerd crust of food lol.

I like to use my trykey fryer and heat my pots with oil which removes most debris some scraping may be needed. There are several sites that have different cleaning solutions. for cooking with cast iron pots look at www.wedodutchoven.com