case4grace

Help 2 I.d. Indian Head

Hi, this is my first time posting here. By accident I came across a couple of my first Frankoma pieces. I'm fast becoming a Frankoma fan. I'm wondering if someone could give me identifying information on this Indian Head Mask. I'll include photos. The dimensions are just under 3 3/4" x 2"

I'm not sure if this is Ada clay. I read your guide and did the wet test, and it does not darken. Would you be able to confirm Ada or Sapulpa?. I know my photo is dark. I took it outside, but it was a cloudy day. I want to get a better photo in the sun.

I read in a book that included Frankoma i.d. marks among many other pottery marks that the round "O" and upright "K" signified a date around 1934-38. Is this correct? Please see my photos below.

And then there is the color of the glaze. Is this Texas Brown, Mocha Brown or some other.

I appreciate any help anyone can give me and anything else I should know but didn't know to ask. Thank you.

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/c...ankomaBack2.jpg

http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk137/c...ankomaFront.jpg

I'm so glad you included a photo of the back of this piece, because it dates it specifically. If you look closely, you'll see that the "O" in Frankoma is perfectly round. This impressed Frankoma mark was used only from 1934 to 1938 which, of course, would make it an Ada clay piece. Frankoma made this piece in three sizes, as follows:

#135 Small (3-3/4" tall)

#135B Medium (4" tall)

#135A Large (4-5/8" tall)

Your Indian Head is the small size, and this particular size was made from 1934 to 1957 and again from 1973 to 1975. Since we know yours was made between 1934 and 1938, the glaze color is Texas Brown or Osage Brown. (Actually, the original brown was called Maple from 1933 to 1934, then renamed Texas Brown from 1935 to 1936, and again renamed Osage Brown from 1938 to 1942.)

Book values for each of the three sizes with the round "O" are:

Small - $150-225

Medium - $200-250

Large - $200-250

Your "accident" turned out to have a very happy ending. Congratulations!

WOW! Thank you so much for all your help/information.

B.T.W. I'm sure others have told you, but your i.d. pic is delightful. I have 2 kitties of my own. Both were rescues - one was dumped in our neighborhood with feline aids and if she could talk it is as if she would say "I'll stay out of your way and not be any trouble..I'm just glad to have shelter." The other I refer to as witchy-poo.

Back to Frankoma: I just bought 3 Frankoma dinner plates at a local flea market and when I get the time I'll be researching what they are.

Have a great day wherever you are.