antoninus

Homer Laughlin Colonial White Backstamp

Hi,

I'm new to collecting these.

Is this an original backstamp for the Colonial White series?

I believe made in the late 60's and mostly 70's.

This is a 10" plate.

I was curious because there are no letters or numbers to date this other than the pattern.

But I'm not sure all HL items were dated.

stamp.jpg

Thankyou for your help,

Doug

normal_colonialb.jpg

Doug --

Colonial White is what is termed a "pattern" made on the Dover shape. There were many patterns made on the Dover shape, and the plain, white pieces were known as Colonial White. Your plate is a 16-sided piece, and it's undeniably Colonial White. Quoting from Homer Laughlin: Decades of Dinnerware by Bob Page, Dale Frederiksen and Dean Six:

The Dover shape was created in the late 1960's, when interest in American Colonial designs was popular. It was produced throughout the 1970's and into the early 1980's. The most popular pattern on this multi-sided form was Colonial White, an undecorated white pattern. Homer Laughlin assigned numbers to most Dover patterns, a letter code and number for the specific pattern decoration. Most patterns have the designation CW for Colonial White, and not D for Dover. The interest in the 1976 American Bicentennial helped sales of Dover patterns remain strong through the 1970's. Many Bicentennial Commemoratives were produced on the shape. Amber/brown and green glazed Dover patterns were also produced to coordinate with the harvest gold and avocado colors used in kitchens of the period. The shape was used to make china marketed by others and may have backstamps by other manufacturers or none at all.

I think Dover is among HLC's best shapes. The serving pieces -- coffee pot, sugar, creamer, gravy boat, covered casserole and others -- have a sculptured quality that I find very appealing. If your aim is to collect a complete set of Colonial White, eBay is a good source. I just checked, and there are quite a few pieces available in both auction and buy-it-now.

I've seen this book used sevral times on this. It is one I will need to buy.

At this point not looking to buy complete sets.

I like history and have stepped into the potteries. Have bought 4 books.

Blue Ridge, Roseville,McCoy,Americas encyclopedia of Dinnerware.

I hit the resale shops here in the older neighborhoods and bought 37 plates for $36. Cheap.

Went by name from the Encyclopedia book above.

ID this Colonial White,except uncertain about the backstamp as it seems like it will take a while to learn these.

Also found a WS George Bolero 30's - 50's & a Fiesta plate Turquois Platter from around 1947, Date as a guess. But I think I'm close. I took it to the antique shop where I sell and had a couple dealers look at it and they agreed on the Fiesta plate.

I think I did well as I started collecting this week. There's alot to learn.

Thankyou for your help,

Doug

Hi,

I have a set of Homer Laughlin's Colonial White dinnerware that my great aunt willed to me. It includes 8 place settings, sugar & creamer, veggie serving bowl, and a large platter. I really have no use for the set and my husband is in the military, so we move every few years. I'd rather that someone use and enjoy them than keep moving them and risk damage--so I'd like to sell them. Where and for how much should I advertise them? All except the plates (that have a few light blue lines from using a knife to cut with) and the platter (that has a small chip sustained during one of our many moves) are in mint condition.

Thanks! erikaav

If you have any antique dealers or malls near you, I would take some of the pieces to them to see if any of the dealers have an interest in the set. Be sure to take a piece or pieces that have the backstamp on them. Anyone familiar with Home Laughlin China will be familiar with the backstamps.

If that isn't satisfactory, there's always eBay. Take several good, clear photos of the set, including a closeup of the chipped platter, and closeups of one or more backstamps. This set isn't particularly old, but the backstamps are still important. Include a full description of the set, stating the number of plates, cups, saucers, etc. I'd try selling the entire set, rather than selling individual pieces.

You could also post your set for sale on this forum in its own topic. Take the photos I recommended, and include them in your post. Many HLC collectors read this forum, and one or more of them might be interested. Perhaps Antoninus, who initiated this top, would be interested.

Hi! I inherited a set of Homer Laughlin Colonial White dishes that I would like to sell. There are 8 place settings (8 dinner & 8 salad plates, 8 bowls, 8 cups, 8 saucers), sugar bowl, creamer, vegetable serving bowl and platter. The platter has a small chip on bottom edge (see close up photo), which is not visible from the top. Dinner plates were used regularly (see close-up photo). Cups, saucers, bowls, sugar bowl, and creamer are in mint condition. I'd like to sell the set for $150 + shipping. Paypal payment only. Please reply to this posting if interested. Photos available at: https://post.craigsl...KuIRQ?s=preview Thanks!