mrame33

Chili Help

Is there a way to cool down chili that is too hot? Something you can add to take a little of the heat out of it?

about the only way I know of is to add more meat to the chili. If this doesn't help you may have to just try to stand the pain or start all over again. or take it to an office chili cook-off and try for hottest chili category.

Is there a way to cool down chili that is too hot? Something you can add to take a little of the heat out of it?

The only thing that works for me is to make more chili without hotness to add to what you've already made.

Somebody asked about this same problem in this month's (October) Ask Dr. John. Here's the question and Dr. John's answer:

[This happens a lot]

Virginia writes:

My husband put much too much chili powder in a large batch of chili. What can I put in the chili in the next warming to take out some of the chili flavor? Will a potato do the same as it does for salt?

Hi Virginia: We have had some success using instant potato flakes to tone down chili. You will need to add water to keep it from getting too thick. This will dilute the whole pot and more than likely will make it acceptable.

The link to "Ask Dr. John" is on the front page of www.texascooking.com.

I'm sorry I'm not sure of the question. Chile is too hot?? Never had that happen. :rolleyes:

Hehe very funny, Brazos!

-Steve

:rolleyes:

Thanks plm555 for pointing us in the direction. I wasn't sure on how to do this either.

hi,

Peel a potato and put it in the chili. Simmer the chili with the potato in it for 10 minutes.stir occasionally. potato can absorb some of the heat from the chilli.have a try :)

check out this cooking website www.pachakam.com for many more mouthwatering recipes.U ill really love this!

have a nice day

suma

When I was 10 years old I would put mild in the chili, cooled it right down and wasn't bad either.

Now the only way that I have found is to double the meat.

BTW. To spicey and to hot are not the same thing.

I'm like Brazos - this is not a problem I've had a lot of experience trying to cope with. The one time I ate a chile pepper that was too hot for me, I found eating peanut butter to be the most effective way to kill the extra heat. That was after trying a number of other things so it may have been the cumulative effect or just that the heat finally, er, burned out?

Any of the commonly used thickeners added to chili will dull the heat some; unfortunately, they also change the rest of the flavors, too. That's why I never use a thickener in chili any more, I just keep cooking it down until it's the right thickness.

Some of those are masa harina, saltines, flour, rolled oats (i.e., oatmeal) - I'm guessing that's why the potato flakes work.

Tomatoes (sauce, paste) also takes some of the edge off but you don't want to use so much you get tomato-flavored beef.

Maybe a combination of two or more of these would do the trick?

But the best way is to make more chili, without any chili peppers, and mix the two.

Hi I would like your recipe for the chill...esp it is hot..... love good chill but don't have a good recipe anyone want to help me out

Thanks

Go to Grandma's Cookbook in www.texascooking.com at this link. Click on the Chili section. There you'll find a number of excellent, prize-winning chili recipes. I can vouch for every one of them.

You can control the heat of your chili by the number and type of chilies you use. For instance, serranos are hotter than jalapenos. Pequins and habaneros are hotter still.

Hope you find a recipe you like.