Gail

New To Frankoma

Hello,

I was given a box of Frankoma dinnerware that my Mother found in her attic. I was going to just add them to my everyday dishes until I started looking at them. From what I have been able to glean so far is that they are Praire green. There are four 9 inch plates in the wagon wheel design. The stamp on the back is very small and somewhat obscured by the glaze. There are four bowls with a larger very clear stamp and 5X on the bottom, four pedestal mugs with C2 stamped on the bottom, A pitcher 7 1/2 inches tall with the number 8 . Also a teapot with the GT stamped on the bottom and a sticker that says "an orginal creation by Frankoma" , and a casserole/beanpot with 5V on the bottom.

On the pieces that the clay is showing on the bottom, it looks more red than tan to me. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. Should I use these as display pieces only? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks

You have acquired an eclectic collection of Frankoma pieces, most, but not all, of which are dinnerware.

The 9-inch plates are from the Wagon Wheels dinnerware collection. Since they bear the small Frankoma stamp, rather than the large 94F number Frankoma began using in the mid-fifties, I'd say they are from the 40s or early 50s. I'll list the rest of the pieces by mold number.

5X: Westwind pattern, 14-ounce bowl, book value $3.50-5

C2: Not part of a dinnerware pattern, pedestal mug, book value $3-5

#8: Not part of a dinnerware pattern, 24-ounce pitcher, book value $10-12 (exception for Ada clay $20-25)

6T: (I'm guessing the mark is 6T and not GT, since I can find no piece with that mark.) Westwind pattern, 6-cup teapot, book value $10-15

5V: Plainsman pattern, 2-quart baker, book value $10-15

If the clay looks red to you, it's probably Sapulpa -- not Ada -- clay.