Hello!

I bought a platter for my mom on Ebay for Christmas.

When she received it she noticed it is not signed. We have never heard of 'unsigned Fiestaware' but the woman who sold it to me insists it is real.....also the quality is not as good as the other Fiestaware my mom has.....could this be a second....or fake?

Here's a picture...if I did it right....

6047_1.JPG

Thank you for your help!

Is this a photo of the bottom of the platter or the inside? I can't be sure, but I'm going to assume the perspective is looking down into the inside of the platter. The color appears to be persimmon in your photo but, again, colors from different cameras with different lighting conditions can vary. If this is a photo of the inside of the piece, it's definitely not Fiesta since it appears to lack the five small concentric rings in the center and it has a flat rim.

There have been lots of Fiesta knock-offs over the years, and I think you may have one. If you can post more photos with descriptions it would be helpful.

LA Lucy has a sharp eye, and I believe she is correct. Your platter looks to be either an 11-inch or a 13-inch Harlequin platter. The Homer Laughlin China Company, which of course was the maker of Fiesta, as well as many many other lines of dinnerware, produced Harlequin exclusively for Woolworth from 1936 to 1954. The 13-inch platter, which is a little harder to find, went into production in 1938.

If your platter is an 11-inch red (and red was added in the 1940s, its book value is $26-28. If it's a 13-inch red, book value is $38-41, maybe a bit more. Harlequin is highly collectible, so even though you may not have the Fiesta platter you wanted, you still have a very nice piece with some real value.