Dirk

Help Identifying Ada Clay Art Deco Semi-nude Lady Figure

We are looking for some help with an item that will be in our next auction. It's an older figure in green glaze of a semi-nude seated maiden with her head down and hair hanging straight down, obscuring her features. This piece is slated for auction on Dec 28 and we were hoping to learn more including the name of the sculpture.

Any input will be greatly appreciated. An image is available.

Thanks!

Dirk Soulis

By your description, it sounds as if you have half of a pair of #427 Weeping Lady bookends. Production for #427 began around 1938 and continued through 1954 (by 1942 the name of the set had been changed to "The Dreamer Girl"). I just did a quick search on eBay and, although I have seen it listed -- more often as in your case a single piece, I do not see any at this time. Book value for the set (Gary Schaum's Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery)is $250-350 for the pair. All will be in Ada clay since production ceased before Frankoma began using Sapulpa clay. Your piece will be especially important to someone who has only one and would like to complete their set.

By your description, it sounds as if you have half of a pair of #427 Weeping Lady bookends. Production for #427 began around 1938 and continued through 1954 (by 1942 the name of the set had been changed to "The Dreamer Girl"). I just did a quick search on eBay and, although I have seen it listed -- more often as in your case a single piece, I do not see any at this time. Book value for the set (Gary Schaum's Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery)is $250-350 for the pair. All will be in Ada clay since production ceased before Frankoma began using Sapulpa clay. Your piece will be especially important to someone who has only one and would like to complete their set.