nwilder

Jalapeno Peppers

So you want to make a ristra out of your surplus jalapeƱos. It's worth a try, but I think jalapeƱos aren't usually used for them. I typed "make a ristra" into Google and came up with a number of pages that offer step-by-step instructions.

Under "What Kind of Chiles to Use," one of the sites said: "The red ones with the thin walls! And you'll want to avoid the green chiles; Gloria says they can become moldy. Wait about a week after harvest before weaving a chile into a ristra. This allows the stem to dry which makes it easier to tie."

Here are two of the links I found:

http://www.rebeccasgarden.com/howto/items/...lies_intro.html

http://www.geocities.com/TheTropics/Island...ristrapage.html

Come back after you've made your ristra and let us know how it turned out.

Sell them! Also, you might try dehydrating the jalapenos in a food dehydrator or the oven. If they're good and dry, they shouldn't mold. I would either pickle them or cook in a small amount of water until tender and then puree them. The puree could then be frozen for future use in salsas or other recipes.

NWilder

Maybe you can use your jalapeno surplus to make a mountain of nachos. You'll become a hometown hit.

Steve

mmmm black bean nachos :D

Guest jerry

I would smoke them on your smoker the next time you do a brisket or ribs or whatever. Then I would make an adobo sauce and "can" them in the adobo. Then you can have chipoltles to make bar-b-que sauce, or marinade some pork steaks for your next fajita party. Need I go on?? Never waste a good jalapeno!!!