melizp

"leaky" Mug

:( I just bought a beautiful Frankoma mug (don't know enough about Frankoma to say what specific style it is) at an antique mall for $4. It's a lovely robin's-egg blue, thick and solid, rather squat in stature. It quickly became a favorite and I looked forward to drinking from it.

Here's the problem: last night I prepared tea in it, and the tea apparently seeped through to the outside of the mug! I had little tea-drops covering the surface. Is there any way to make this mug useable, other than as a pencil holder?

It sounds like the glaze on the inside of the cup is too thin. This is a new one on me -- I have not heard of this problem before. I cannot think of anything you could put on the inside of the cup that would make it watertight without making you sick. I hope another reader has a bright idea, else I fear it's pencils after all.

Strange...The reason why I signed up on this forum was due to the same problem I am having with a Frankoma mug (Prairie Green - 5CL - Ada clay) that happened today!!!! I bought this mug a few months ago and I've used it to drink coffee. Today, I put hot water (from the kettle) to make hot chocolate and the mug was sweating out hot chocolate (or at least I think it was the chocolate and not the clay). Is it due to the very hot water I put in because when I make coffee from the coffeemaker, that water is not as hot as the water from the kettle. I use my Frankoma on an everyday basis so now I'm concerned about using them in that way. I'm a Newbie to Frankomas and now I"m not sure if I should be eating/drinking out of them. Thanks in advance for your comments.

You may have a glaze skip or tiny chip inside the mug. (By the way, your 5CL is a Plainsman 12-ounce mug.) Run your fingers slowly and carefully inside the mug to see if you can detect anything like that, or if the glaze feels thin or rough. I, too, find it very strange that two people would be having the same problem with a Frankoma mug. I often pour hot coffee into my Frankoma mugs and have never experienced a problem, but I do not believe I have ever poured boiling water into one. However, even boiling water should not be able to penetrate a properly glazed piece.

Thanks to "plm555" for your reply, and how interesting that "Datgirl" is having the same problem! (My leaky mug was the reason I joined this forum, too.) Do you think it's safe, then, to drink cold water or coffee from my mug? Would there be any toxicity concerns? And I was thinking: I have another Frankoma cup that I've used for a few years, but only for coffee...never for tea...and it's never presented a problem.

I know this is several months past the leaky mug problem, but I just read this tonight. If you are still interested...my suggestion would be to contact Frankoma directly. They are very nice people in Oklahoma whom I visited and met recently, who would no doubt be glad to discuss your problem. They may not compensate - as it was a second hand sale, but they would surely give you some answers to your questions.

www.frankoma.com or www.frankomaland.com has a discussion board too.

Ellene

www.collectibletreasuresblog.com