quilt_wilt

Frankoma Pottery With Silver Overlay

I have a frankoma creamer (87A) and a sugar (87B) done in prairie green,and of Ada clay, with silver overlay. Both are free of chips and cracks, they do have some crazing which could be associated with the silver application. Susan Cox, in her 1993 Frankoma publication, (pg. 37) suggests a value of 125% above the current suggested values. (87a and 87b are listed at 15 to 20 dollars each)

What is a valid price range for these items in today's market?

All I know about silver applied to Frankoma is on page 123 of Gary Schaum's book, Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery. Titled "Silver Deposit," it says:

During the 1940's Frankoma supplied various vases and bowls to American Silver Works of New York. These pieces were purchased from Frankoma and resold through their New York company after applying the silver design. American Silver Works also applied silver to other potteries, including Haeger.

Pictured on the page are three pieces of Frankoma art pottery (Mold Nos. 24, 71 and 72), each having an elaborate, filigree-like floral design in silver. Book values for the silver pieces are about five times what the regular pieces are. Example: A #24 6-inch round jar is valued at $75-85. The same jar with the silver overlay is valued at $450-$550. I have seen a few of these pieces on eBay, and they do in fact command very high prices.

I don't know if your 87A and 87B came out of the American Silver Works of New York. If you can supply a photo, it would be helpful.

I hope that someone with more knowledge than I have can come forward and enlighten us.

quilt_wilt's response to plm555's request for a picture of silver overlay. After reviewing Schaum's pictures on page 123, it appears that my pieces have the same floral design as that applied by American Silver Works of New York. I'm sorry I don't know how to insert an image.

If that's the case, it seems to me that the 125% price increase may a little on the conservative side. I'm basing that on the far greater price increases reflected in the Schaum book, plus what I've seen on eBay.