baills

Corn Bread Recipe

I AM LOOKING FOR A CORNBREAD RECIPE MY GRANDMOTHER USE TO MAKE. SHE USED BOILING WATER, MADE LITTLE FLAT CAKE LIKE PIECES AND THEN PUT THEM ON A COOKIE SHEET AND BAKED THEM. IS THIS A REAL RECIPE OR JUST SOMETHING SHE DID?

I AM LOOKING FOR A CORNBREAD RECIPE MY GRANDMOTHER USE TO MAKE. SHE USED BOILING WATER, MADE LITTLE FLAT CAKE LIKE PIECES AND THEN PUT THEM ON A COOKIE SHEET AND BAKED THEM. IS THIS A REAL RECIPE OR JUST SOMETHING SHE DID?

That sounds like corn pone. I've never made it, but I did find this recipe:

Corn Pone

3 cups cornmeal

3 teaspoons salt

2-3 cups boiling water

3 tablespoons lard

Preheat oven to 350 °F.

Mix together, cornmeal, salt and water.

Melt lard in 9" baking pan to coat. Pour remaining lard into corn meal. Mix well and pour mixture into baking pan.

Bake in preheated 350° F oven about 50 minutes, or until golden brown.

That one would make a thin batter. This one uses milk instead, but would make a stiffer batter:

Old-Fashioned Corn Pones

2 cups cornmeal

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon lard or shortening

milk, enough to make a stiff dough

Mix together cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Cut in lard and add enough milk to make a stiff batter. Form into cakes with hands and place in a greased baking pan. Bake in a preheated 425° oven for 20 to 30 minutes.

Hope that helps! It's made me hungry.

in my family, we fried them and called it "hot water cornbread" or "fried cornbread". I recently completed a family cookbook called Cornbread Cuisine and this comes from my book:

Fried Cornbread (Hot water corn bread)

2 cups yellow or white corn meal

2 cups boiling water

1 tsp. salt

Mix corn meal and salt in mixing bowl. Add boiling water all at once and stir hard to remove lumps. The boiling water will partially cook the corn meal – making a thick corn meal “mush” (yep, you just made polenta). Let the mush cool just enough to handle in your bare hands and start shaping into patties. Fry these patties in hot oil or shortening – about ½ inch deep in a cast iron skillet if possible. If you don’t have a cast iron skillet, well just go out and get one. The patties are done when they are a golden brown.

Drain on paper towels and server with butter or margarine.

I put my hands under running water from time to time – it prevents burning my hands and keeps the mush from sticking to my hands. It’s good if the patties aren’t too smooth – they should have slight ridge from your fingers. These ridges make them crispier and keep the butter from sliding off.

Leftover fried corn bread is REALLY good cold with butter just after coming home from school.

Ingredients:

* 1 3/4 cups stone ground cornmeal

* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 2 teaspoons baking powder

* 1 1/2 cups whole milk

* 1 large egg

* 4 tablespoons melted butter

* 1 to 2 teaspoons vegetable oil for the pan or skillet

Preparation:

Heat oven to 425°. Put a sturdy 8- or 9-inch iron skillet or square baking pan in the oven.

In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, and baking powder. Whisk to combine.

In a large glass measuring cup or a bowl, whisk the 1 1/2 cups of milk with the egg and melted butter. Stir into the dry mixture until blended.

Carefully remove the hot pan from the oven and swirl a teaspoon or two of vegetable oil around in it until the bottom is coated. Spread the batter in the pan and bake the cornbread for 22 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.

Toaster

Here's a different variation..Corn Souffle

Corn_Souffle.jpg

Ingredients

2 Tbsp. butter

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, cubed

1 can (15-1/4 oz.) whole kernel corn, drained

1 can (14.75 oz.) cream-style corn

1 pkg. (8.5 oz.) corn muffin mix

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1 cup KRAFT Shredded Cheddar Cheese

Instructions

PREHEAT oven to 350ºF. Microwave butter in medium microwaveable bowl on HIGH 30 sec. or until melted. Add cream cheese; continue microwaving 15 sec. or until cream cheese is softened; stir until well blended. Add both corns, muffin mix and eggs; mix well.

POUR into greased 13×9-inch baking pan; sprinkle with Cheddar cheese.

BAKE 40 min. or until golden brown. Cool slightly.

Cornbread with lots and lots of butter.... Ohhh so delicious. I'll have to make a batch soon. lol

WHew! On this thread alone there are already several great recipes. Can't wait to try some of them, maybe i'll start with Old-Fashioned Corn Pones. Thanks to those who shared.