Sign in to follow this  
ramsfansam

Looking For A Really Regional Shepards Pie Recipe

Hi everyone!

The wife and I were discussing what to do for dinner, and I suggested a dish I only had a few times and she's never heard of, but can't seem to remember the name of it. It is really localized to the hill country area, and blends the flavors of the area.

It was made with marinated strips of steak, a rich, thick gravy, vegetables from both Chinese AND Mexican heritage (I swear I remember corn, onions, peppers, and water chestnuts or something similar...), and was baked in a shell of mashed potatoes and topped with a blend of cheeses. If I remember right, the potatoes had a sausage that was mixed in, maybe German? There was also a cream-based sauce that was poured on before serving...and it was delicious...

I remember eating this at a mom-and-pop place somewhere to the northwest of San Antonio back in the early 80's, but the restaurant was gone when I was last there in '91.

Has anyone ever had the pleasure of eating this, and if so....where can I get a recipe?

Has anyone ever had the pleasure of eating this, and if so....where can I get a recipe?

No, but it really sounds good.

Shepards Pie has always been one of those meals that I have just winged it on and used whatever I had available.