labinski

Brisket In The Oven

A Texas Cooking reader asks:

I am originally from Texas, my dad use to own a meat market and can remember when my dad would make brisket on the pit. Needless to say he never passed on the secret of making his brisket great tasting brisket all of that went to my brothers. I would Love to eat some brisket only thing is, is how can I make the recipe (Brisket from B to T) that is provided on your website it calls for cooking it on the pit can I use the same temp. in my oven.

Thank you,

Janet (Chula)

---------------------------

Janet --

You're right. John Raven's article (Brisket from B to T) is just the way to go if you're cooking it on a pit. But, if you want to cook a brisket in the oven, I highly recommend our recipe, Texas Oven Brisket.

I've made this many, many times. It's absolutely wonderful and pretty foolproof. Just get good-quality beef and remember that the bigger your brisket, the longer the cooking time should be, like 4 lbs. - 4-1/2 to 5 hours. 5 pounds, 5-1/2 to 6 hours, and so on.

I think you'll be reminded of home when you eat this brisket.

Patricia Mitchell

Texas Cooking Online

http://www.texascooking.com

You can use a metal roasting pan if it's a heavy one -- not thin metal. And, if the lid fits tightly, you can use the lid. Otherwise, use aluminum foil. You get a good seal with foil.

As for the rack, don't bother. If you are trying to avoid fat, then brisket probably isn't for you. Brisket is a very tough cut of meat. It requires slow roasting -- low temperature over a long period of time. The fat layer on the top and the accumulated juices on the bottom keep it from being tough and dry. So don't use a rack.

If you wish to remove the fat from the juice once your brisket is done, pour the juice off into a container and refrigerate it for a few hours. The fat will congeal on the surface, and you can lift it out and dispose of it.

I encourage you to make this. You'll love the result.