Lisa

Best Place To Live In Tx?

i would like to hear from other member's as to their favorite place in Texas to live? In perspective to fresh local produce, meats, etc. U-Pick it farms, farmer's markets, etc.

Also, quality of life in those areas...

We are moving soon, probably to the northern Houston area, but would love some input from the foodies here...thanks

You can't go wrong ANYWHERE in Texas! I grew up in the Dallas area, but have been in East Texas the past 8 1/2 years. While I love living in the country and East Texas has many produce stands, farmer's markets, etc., there are also several markets in Dallas. The downtown Dallas Farmer's Market has everything you could want from meat, seafood, and seasonal produce that is brought in from all over the state.

Most places I've ever traveled in Texas, from small towns to big cities, usually have an abundant supply of local produce in roadside stands to the large markets. Some of our grocery stores here in East Texas also carry local produce. Happy Texas living!

From a geographical standpoint, Texas encompasses tremendous diversity. Do you want to be near salt water? No problem; there's 367 miles of coastline. Do you relate to hardwood and pine forests? East Texas might be your cup of tea. How about high desert (hot days/cool nights), sparse population and unspoiled wilderness? Far West Texas awaits. Then there's the central Texas Hill Country with its lovely vistas, elevation changes and proliferation of live oaks. And if you happen to require wide open spaces, the Panhandle will suit you just fine. Certainly, there are big cities that provide just about anything you want from high-brow to low-brow, as well as economic opportunities, excellent health care facilities, multi-ethnic populations, etc., such as Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, Austin, Fort Worth.

Everywhere you go in Texas, you'll find friendly people. That's just the way we are, and it takes some newcomers by surprise. If the person next to you at the gas pump or in the elevator or in line at Dairy Queen strikes up a conversation, there is nothing unusual about it and no cause for alarm.

One thing that takes some newcomers getting used to is the size of the place. Texans, particularly in rural areas -- and there is LOTS of rural area in Texas -- are accustomed to traveling what might be considered by many to be extraordinarily long distances in the course of their day -- whether commuting to and from work, going in to town, or visiting friends and family.

Perhaps the best thing for you to do is make a list of your priorities, then search the Internet to find them in Texas. (BigApoTrack is right; Texas is an agricultural state where food is very important, so you can't go far without finding a farmers' market.) Once you narrow down your choices, various chambers of commerce can be very helpful. Also, it's a rare town in Texas, regardless of size, that does not have its own website, and from there you can search out real estate, local business and events, etc.

You may have a hard time making up your mind.

Thank you for the wonderful replies! I have been researching a few places in TX, but did nto think about the Chamber of Commerce for more info, thank you!

One of my relatives live in Texas specifically Austin and he loves it there. I visit him from time to time. but I love the place. The markets are sooo big compared to the markets here in LA. It takes him about 10 minutes to get to the market but I love how fresh the produce is. I love it.

It depends if you prefer busy city life or the country. For fresh ingredients, I think building one's own ranch is a great idea. If you have a few acres you can grow your own produce and enjoy a more 'natural' way of living. Urban and suburban ranching is gaining popularity across the country.