PhoebeB

Comment On Grandma's Peach Cobbler Face-off

Well, at last! A double-pastry crust peach cobbler like MY grandma's legendary, never-to-be-forgotten peach cobbler. Hers ruined me for life on the blobs-of-batter-on-top kind. (THAT'S the kind that's "not a real cobbler", IMO :stirthepot: )

She always made hers in a 9X13 Pyrex dish, sprinkled sugar over the bottom of the dish and laid down strips of crust. Filling over that, just like a pie, more strips on top brushed w/butter and sprinkled w/sugar.

She baked it low in the oven with the dish sitting on a blackened old cookie sheet, and the bottom crust was always golden brown on the bottom and not a bit soggy.

I wonder why this one has the bottom crust sandwiched between filling. Any ideas?

You'll find it here: Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler

(there's a printer-friendly version) and here's the recipe:

Old-Fashioned Peach Cobbler

Mouth-watering good.

* 8 cups sliced fresh peaches

* 2 cups sugar

* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour

* 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

* 1/3 cup butter, melted

* Pastry for double-crust pie (see Standard Pie Pastry)

Preheat oven to 475°F.

Combine the peaches, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a Dutch oven. Allow to set until sugar is dissolved and a syrup forms. Over medium heat, bring the peach mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in melted butter. Set aside and keep warm.

Roll out half the pastry as for a pie, but cut it into an 8-inch square. Spoon half the peach mixture into a lightly buttered 8-inch square Pyrex dish. Cover with the pastry square. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and spoon remaining peach mixture over the baked pastry.

Roll out the remaining pastry, and cut into strips about an inch wide. Arrange strips in a loose lattice weave over the peach mixture. Sprinkle lightly with granulated sugar, if desired. Bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until browned.

This is the way my family made peach cobbler too!

Always with a double crust that was golden brown top & bottom.

I have no idea why the crust is sandwiched between the filling, but just another way of doing it I guess. Seems to me that the peaches would carmelize being on the bottom and maybe even burn.

My grandmother would add strips about 2 inches long into the filling because they baked like lil dumplings and we really liked the crust LOL!

She also thickened the cobbler with TAPIOCA and added Almond & vanilla falvoring, and sometimes a slash of Brandy. The cobbler would be hot, bubbling, golden brown and DELICIOUS!

Thank you so much for the recipe. I have not been here for a while so please forgive the long delay in responding :)

The recipe is simular to our family's except they use the entire bottom crust and up the sides, and then they had the top crust. Also, they add a bit more flavoring.

No matter, ALL of our grandparents seemed to make the BEST cobbler/food in the world :)

This is a timely find with the Parker County Peach Festival coming up in a little over a week.

The crop is supposed to be one of the best.

Peach Cobbler brings back memories of my grandmother's kitchen in Palo Pinto, sharing a big bowl and a glass of sweet milk.

Too long ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday.

I don't know that I can sweeten a cobbler with the same amount of love she put in every one, but I am surely going to try!

I was so happy to read this recipe for old fashioned peach cobbler. This is the ONLY way I like to make or eat mine. My mama made it this way except there was no 8" thing at the bottom. She just layered peaches and pie dough cut in strips and then on top in a lattice. I could eat the whole thing myself. I loved the dumplingish feel of the pie crust in the middle. The batter thing just does not gonna cut it for me. The other thing that she made that I used to die for was fried apple or apricot pies. I could eat them all by myself. Mama was from east Texas so maybe it's regional but thank god for fried pies and cobbler! I live in Georgia now and I'm already anticipating the best peach cobbler ever made by me this way!

I was so happy to read this recipe for old fashioned peach cobbler. This is the ONLY way I like to make or eat mine. My mama made it this way except there was no 8" thing at the bottom. She just layered peaches and pie dough cut in strips and then on top in a lattice. I could eat the whole thing myself. I loved the dumplingish feel of the pie crust in the middle. The batter thing just does not gonna cut it for me. The other thing that she made that I used to die for was fried apple or apricot pies. I could eat them all by myself. Mama was from east Texas so maybe it's regional but thank god for fried pies and cobbler! I live in Georgia now and I'm already anticipating the best peach cobbler ever made by me this way!

Speaking of fried pies ... http://www.texascooking.com/features/feb2000friedpies.htm