Paul

Frankoma Indian Head

I HAVE JUST FOUND WHAT I THINK IS AN EARLY FRANKOMA INDIAN HEAD IN THE TEAL COLOR . IT IS ABOUT 3 1/2" TALL AND HAS A FRANKOMA WITH A BEAR OVER THE TOP. HOW OLD AND WHAT IT IS WORTH

Well, according to "the book" (Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery by Gary V. Schaum), the smallest Indian head mask was mold No. 135, which was 3-3/4 inches in height. All of the Indian head pieces had similar numbers: Indian Maiden #135, 4-1/8" tall; Indian Mask #131, 5" tall; Large Indian Mask #135A, 4-5/8" tall; Medium Indian Mask #135B, 4" tall and Small Indian Mask #135, 3-3/4" tall. Then there was the wall pocket: #135WP, 3" tall. Except for the #135, these pieces would be of Ada clay. The #135 was made up through 1957 and again from 1972 to 1975. However, the color you describe -- teal -- is problematic. No early piece was made in Teal. Turquoise, yes, in 1942, but not teal.

If you could post a photo of this piece, it would be great. If you have questions about how to post a photo, please email me.

I've seen your Indian Head on eBay, and I've never seen anything like it. It's not in "the books." I agree that you have a real prize, and I hope you do very well with your auction.

The color -- if the color in your photo is accurate -- amazes me. The cat mark (that back stamp is also referred to as the pot & puma mark) was used from 1934 to 1938, and the only blues listed during that time are Blue-Grey Jade (dark blue-green) and Royal Blue. The color in your photo is more like turquoise or, as you describe it, teal. Could be that it's a glaze they "tried out" for a while and never went into major production. At any rate, you have a rare find.