Sign in to follow this  
Bill120650

Perfect Meringue

This site, as with many others I have come across, lists a "perfect meringue" recipe that is anything but. The recipe is adequate; it is not perfect. If you are a diner pie afficianado - you remember those pies with the mile-high meringue, try the following and let me know if you do not think this meringue is at least close to perfect.

This recipe works equally for a 9" or 10" pie; the mound will simply be a little higher on the 9."

Put 8 whites from extra large or jumbo eggs in a glass, heat resistant bowl. Add 1 cup of granulated sugar. Put the bowl over a medium saucepan with simmering water. Whisk the sugar and egg white mixture until the sugar is melted and the mixture is hot to the touch - do not over heat or you will be looking at the beginnings of an egg white omelet.

Immediately transfer to your heavy duty mixing bowl and turn the speed to low and commence whipping. Over the course of a minute or so, slowly raise the mixer speed to high. Add a quarter teaspoon of cream of tartar. Mix on high for 10 minutes.

When you top your pie (lemon, chocolate, etc.) make sure the filling is still piping hot. Once you have the meringue arranged on the pie as you wish, bake it in a 275 degree oven for as long as it takes to lightly brown the meringue. By topping while the filling is hot and baking for a longer period at a lower temperature, you will alleviate the beading and weeping problems that ruin a good many meringue pies.

Try this and let me know what you think.