labinski

El Paso - Dennis Quaid Movie Wraps

'Day After Tomorrow' Wraps Up Filming in El Paso;

20th Century Fox Film has $5 Million Economic Impact on City’s Economy

El Paso, Texas—The cast and crew of the 20th Century Fox film “The Day After Tomorrow,” starring Dennis Quaid and Sela Ward, finished filming in El Paso on Sunday, April 6. The film had an economic impact of more than $5 million.

DAT Productions, a division of 20th Century Fox, brought more than 300 crew members for the three days of filming at various locations in El Paso. Members of the production company, including Director Roland Emmerich, were in El Paso for several weeks prior to filming. The set pieces they produced included a Border Crossing Station at the Porfirio Diaz entrance to the Border Highway so realistic that it confused many El Pasoans in the weeks prior to filming.

The premise of “The Day After Tomorrow” is that the United States is no longer inhabitable because of a global warming phenomenon that sends the country into an ice age. The scenes filmed in El Paso feature “refugees,” played by more than 800 El Pasoans who were hired as extras for the film, who are trying to cross the border into Mexico. The Film Commission and DAT Productions had to enlist the help of ten federal offices, two state offices, and numerous offices of the City and County of El Paso in

order to get the necessary permissions to film scenes along the border and on the city streets and highways. The Department of Defense ultimately granted the permission for filming along the U.S./Mexico border. Vicente “Vince” C. Ogilvie, Deputy Special Assistant for Entertainment Media at the Pentagon, was on hand during the filming to ensure that procedures were properly followed.

Film Commissioner Susie Gaines and Location Manager Joe Sierra worked with the production company for nearly nine months to facilitate communications between local government officials in El Paso, government officials in Mexico, and the production company. Gaines said that the filming went very well. “This production was absolutely amazing. This was the first time ever that a film has had the cooperation of two different countries, and I am so pleased that it went as well as it did.”

For further information about the filming of “The Day After Tomorrow” or the El Paso Film Commission, please contact the Communications Department at (915) 534-0614.

You made me think of that movie they shot at Marfa, Texas in the early 50"s with James Dean perhaps and I think the name was, "The Big Sky." The props were still up in 1956.

What other movies were shot in Texas?

Aboard ship, USS LOCATOR AGR-6, we would go to sea with some of the oldest junk movies and watch them a thousand times and get them again in about six months. We were at sea for a month and in port for two weeks: Bad Day at Black Rock was the name of one of them.

Today, each sailor probably takes his own screen and a bunch of DVD's.

How times change.

You're thinking about "Giant" with not only James Dean, but Elizabeth Taylor and Rock Hudson. One of my favorite all-time movies.

This is a good topic. I'm going to do a little research, but off the top of my head I can think of Bonnie and Clyde, Tender Mercies, Logan's Run, The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, old & new versions (boy, we're proud of that), Lonesome Dove (in part), The Alamo (the latest one), Miss Congeniality, Traffic. I'll have to look into this some more.

Oh Brother;

Now I'm remembering in "54 not going into town with my Sis to see Elvis (Breckenridge, Texas). The show cost 25 cents. I thought he was stupid and still do. I didn't feel like singing and screaming, I wanted to kill the SOB. He tried to date one of our cheerleaders and the football team found out about it and carved their initials in his pink caddy while he was in having a soda. Our '54 football team put five starting players as freshmen on O.U.'s team the next season including Jerry Tubbs all american.

I got even for "miss'n Elvis" in San Francisco. My wife and I, at that time we were just dating, went at the request of a couple we knew to see what they thought would be an up and coming young singer.

For $7.35 per couple we had drinks and had a young lady sing for us all night not more that eight feet away. There were two other couples in the bar that night. T.V. doesn't do Barbara justice. Her top side jiggles and I got kicked a lot that night - Streisand.

In the Navy at Newport, R.I. OCS on a Sunday morning everyone stayed and slept in. I got up and about seven of us were seated at the base chaple when a helicopter landed at the start of service. President Dwight D. Eisenhower sat directly in front of me and a little off to my left.

Just before D Day, Dad got a purple heart in Scottland from a buzz bomb blowing a stained glass window out of a church and cut him up. Then he fought from the beaches into Germany with Eisenhower. Dad took his carbine into church with him in Berlin for three Sundays before he trusted the congregation enough to come to church unarmed. Dad about threw a fit in 1965 when I told him I bought a VW.

My son, in about '85, told Dad excitedly about just getting back from visiting his exchange student friend in Sweeden and getting in his Sorrico and touring Germany, Holand, Denmark, Southern France and in the alps and into Italy.

He said, "Grand dad you wouldn't believe it, we were doing 140 on the Autobon and cars were passing us." Dad looked at Scott and said, "Scott, the last time I was on the Autobon, the Germans had blown all the bridges and the son of a bitches were shoot'n at us."

My Texas mail man showed me his chest. He lead a platoon during the Battle of the Bulge. A tank shell got him and he lay in the hospital for three days watching his heart jerk around in his chest and drinking whisky for morphine.

If a streatcher team went to pick him up, he could hear the triage person say, "Don't bring that son of a bitch, he's just going to die anyway." Major Mehaffey didn't. His son was one of my best friends.

If you were a soldiers kid in Texas from 1942 to 1945, you spent years on your knees praying for your Dad and you Mom didn't have to tell you. You came out of that war a "prayer warrier" and there were a lot of men walking around Texas afterwards because some kid thought enough of them to pray.