canook

Mexican/spanish Rice Recipe

I worked for a small Mexican Restaurant for a friend of mine who owned the restaurant and was also the chef. I can't give you an exact recipe because she didn't measure anything, but I can tell you how she did it.

Using a large cast iron skillet, heat approx. 2 Tbsp. oil over high heat until very hot. Add rice (depends on how much you want to make - use package directions as guide). Constantly stir rice over high heat until starts to brown, careful not to burn. Carefully pour water in skillet (it will steam and bubble up immediately), then add chopped onions, small can of tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, and salt. Place lid on skillet (she didn't even use a "tight-fitting" lid as most recipes call for when cooking rice), reduce heat and cook until liquid is absorbed, about 15-20 minutes. (The amount of water and seasonings used will depend on the amount of rice used. Try using what's recommended on the rice package for the rice/water ratio and then maybe a little less water. The less water, the drier and fluffier the rice. The more water used, the more moist the rice.

The browning of the rice and small amount of tomato sauce will give the rice a nice color, but not too "tomatoey" a taste.

I make rice several times a week and have often been asked to make 10+ lbs. for plate sales. I also live in Laredo so you can't get much more authenic.

In a skillet that has a tight fitting lid, fry 1 1/2 c of rice in 2T. oil until brown. Add 3 c. hot water, 3T. Knorrtomate (chicken bouillon with tomato), 1 tsp. ground cumin, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1 T. dried minced onions, 2 cloves of fresh garlic (finely chopped). Stir until all is dissolved. Cover. Cook over medium heat for 15 minutes. DO NOT LIFT THE LID !!!!!!!! After 15 minutes turn it off and let it sit for 20 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve.

You can always add: 1/2 c frozen corn, sweet pepper, peas, or 1 c. diced fresh tomatoes. These should be added when you add all the spices.

The Knorrtomate replaces the tomatoe sauce and adds another layer of flavor. You should be able to find it in jars or in little cubes at most grocery stores. I add it to many things: sopa aguado (fideo soup) and tortilla soup. I even add it when I make huevos a la Mexicana (scrambled eggs with fresh tomato, serrano chili, and onion).