mamafish68

Enchillada Sauce?

since moving to Colorado and having to endure their ATTEMPT at Mexican food I find myself begging my home state folks for a recipe!

I'm desperate for the beef gravy type sauce you find on cheese enchilladas, even if it's the Taco Cabana recipe I dont care!!! I'm home sick for some TEX-MEX!!!! And my kids...we play the "Remember when" game and it always turns into, "remember when we were at ...and those tacos or bbq or this and that"

Tex-Mex isnt just a cuisine, it's a way of life!!! :banana:

please share w/ us

Mama --

I've got just the recipe for you. If you want a printer-friendly copy of this, you can find it at http://www.texascooking.com/recipes/chiligravy.htm

This chili gravy is indispensable for enchiladas, tamales, and a host of other Tex-Mex dishes.

* 4 tablespoons peanut oil or lard

* 1 medium onion, finely chopped

* 2 large cloves of garlic, minced or put through a garlic press

* 1 tablespoon bacon drippings

* 1/2 cup good chili powder (preferably Gebhardt's or your own homemade)

* 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

* 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican

* 4 cups beef stock

* 1 tablespoon Masa Harina

* salt to taste

Over medium heat, sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until the onion is softened, but not browned. Stir in the bacon drippings, chili powder, cumin, oregano; then add the beef stock, a little at a time, stirring well.

Simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes until mixture is slightly reduced and thickened. Mix the Masa Harina with a few tablespoons of water or the gravy, itself, and stir back into the gravy. Simmer for 10 minutes more. Taste the gravy and add salt only if you think it necessary.

Makes about 4 cups.

thanks plm!!

I have that recipe and should have said so, sorry about that! I think i'm doing something wrong with the recipe though, it turns out with an almost burned/bitter flavor and VERY chili (red sauce) tasting. If anyone has any suggestions I'd be very grateful!

You know, the only thing in the recipe that could possibly cause the bitter taste you mention is the chili powder. You might try changing brands or use half the amount called for (1/4 cup instead of 1/2). That might suit you better. Different people have different tastes. Let us know if that works for you or if you find another recipe you like.

You know, the only thing in the recipe that could possibly cause the bitter taste you mention is the chili powder. You might try changing brands or use half the amount called for (1/4 cup instead of 1/2). That might suit you better. Different people have different tastes. Let us know if that works for you or if you find another recipe you like.

I agree

I know exactly what you all mean. I live in Los Angeles now and I don't know what it is but the Mexican food is just different. As far as better or worse, it's on same level but it's the spice or something. I want some good 'ol Tex-Mex.

I know what you mean about the difference between the red sauce and the brown, beefy gravy type sauce. I think what you want is just good ol' fashioned chili con carne. I used to work for a lady who made this type of chili and she used the same on her enchiladas. She used ground beef, onions, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper (to taste - may be omitted), tomatoes and water. Cook this mixture for awhile, then take a couple of heaping tablespoons of flour or masa and blend into a small amount of water to make a paste. The amount used will depend on how much chili you are making. Slowly pour the paste into the chili mixture, stirring the chili while pouring. Some refer to this as "tightening" the chili. It is much like making gravy. It thickens the chili. If it is too thick, add more water, or better yet, beef broth. I suppose if you're just looking for a smooth gravy, omit the ground beef and use a beef base or beef broth instead of water, use onion powder, and omit the tomatoes. Your basic chili flavors are still there with the garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and paprika. OR, just put it all in a food processor! :D

Hope this helps.

Here in Kansas City I found a place that makes Mexican chili and also American chili. The difference being that the Mexican chili uses pork, shredded and flavored with chili powder and some mystery stuff. I have them put this on my enchilladas, taste great.

Here in Kansas City I found a place that makes Mexican chili and also American chili. The difference being that the Mexican chili uses pork, shredded and flavored with chili powder and some mystery stuff. I have them put this on my enchilladas, taste great.

Sounds like chilorio, a dish from the Mexican state of Sinaloa. The difference, besides type of meat and shredding vs. cubing, is the meat is braised first, then browned/fried in spices, whereas chili meat is usually browned first, then braised/stewed.

Ummmm, good. Around here, where there are few good bowls of chili to be found in restaurants, it's one of my favorite dishes at Mexican restaurants that serve it.