Sign in to follow this  
Guest Down under pete

Tortillas

Guest Down under pete

I cannot find masa harina anywhere in Australia - I think it could be a bit difficult and expensive to import in small quantities.

Can anyone tell me another ingredient that I could perhaps substitute. Yes I can [and have] made flour tortillas, but I wouldn't mind trying corn ones.

Pete

Can you find something called corn flour? That's a pretty close match to Masa Harina. Don't think for a minute that you can substitute corn meal. It absolutely will not work.

Corn tortillas are my favorite, so I think you should give them a try. I hope you can solve the masa harina problem. It is very inexpensive. You can buy it in 4-1/2-pound bags. True, the shipping costs would undoubtedly be more than the cost of the masa harina, but it may not be prohibitive, especially if you're in no hurry for it and can get someone to ship it at Slow-Boat-To-China rates.

One alternative is to investigate a web site called Access USA. I have only heard of their service, and have no personal knowledge or experience with it, but it sounds intriguing. Through that site you can set up a US address. Then you can shop all over the Internet and have things shipped to that address. Access USA then ships everything to you. Apparently, they ship all over the world. The site is at http://www.myus.com/

Good luck, and let us know if you ever get your Masa Harina.

If you want to go to the trouble, you can make your own corn flour. If you go to www.gourmetsleuth.com and page down to "Nixtamal", then go to the link, "making fresh nixtamal and masa" it will give you precise directions for making your own. There are also links under "Related Articles". I don't blame you for wanting to make them, they are so yummy. Maybe you can start your own tortilla business down under. Good luck. :P

Guest jeri

:mango: You can use corn flour. corn flour is used for tamales also. i personnly like flour tortill's better but we all are diffrent. i love making them to i dont use a press i roll them out and use cast iron to cook them ooooo they are yummy. and i am not mexican hahaha. :banana: