catrancher

Need To Know

na;

dutch oven is basically a large cast iron (in the olde days before aluminum) with a heavy lid. you can see them in the cast iron cookware section of many supermarkets and sporting good joints.

a pressure cooker is usually a large heavy aluminum pot with a special type of lid that either screws down to the pot or locks onto the pot with special little tabs, and has like a high temp rubber or silicone 0-ring kind seal. on top of the lid is a small shaft with a hole in it to vent steam from the sealed pot - which takes us to the large heavy coin looking thing that has holes in it that is supposed to fit on top of the little shaft , which is weighted differently per hole.

cooking in either will do you well, but a stew in a pressure cooker usually turns out much more tender. u can find many pressure cooker recipes on the net! :rolleyes:

Many thanks Tex

I always wondered what the differace was.

I thought maybe they were the same!

If you have any good recipes for a pressure cooker I would love to have some.

Or anyone else who has one please feel free to pass them on to me.

Sandy :D

"There are two means of refuse from the miseries of life: music and cats."

Pressure cookers are great -- old technology but great. They cook most things much better and just as fast as a microwave oven.

Here's a great pressure cooker recipe for Barbecued Pork Chops:

1/4 cup flour

2 teaspoons chili powder

Salt and pepper to taste

4 butterflied pork chops

4 teaspoons vegetable oil, divided

2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

1 small onion, finely chopped

1/2 cup tomato sauce

2 tablespoons light brown sugar

1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard

1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon sweet paprika

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

Combine the flour, chili powder, salt and pepper in a large paper bag. Add the pork chops and shake so they are evenly coated with the flour mixture.

Heat 2 teaspoons of the oil in the pressure cooker. Add two of the pork chops and brown well on both sides. Remove and cover to keep warm. Add the remaining oil to the pressure cooker, and brown the other two pork chops. Remove and cover.

Add the vinegar to the pan. Then add the onion, tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, paprika and cloves. Stir to combine. Return the pork chops to the pan, turning them over once so they are coated with the sauce. Cover pressure cooker and bring up to full pressure (15 pounds). Reduce heat to stabilize pressure and cook for 15 minutes. Release pressure.

Serve pork chops topped with sauce.