Sign in to follow this  
bfg9000d

Fajitas

I have experimented with allot of fajita marinades. One that even called for Coke, Soy sauce, garlic, lemon pepper. I have been to many resturants in Texas and I live in Texas as well and most of the resturants can serve up some pretty awesome fajitas. My main problem is most of the marinades I have tried or found on the interent have not been even close to what the resturants serve up. Seems like the resturants always comes up good and smokey and on the sweet side I also notice their maybe a hint of spices in them as well. I would greatly apperciate it if you would give me some direction or a recipe to guide me on because. I'm almost at a lost right now. And I got a big party coming over to my house and they want fajitas. So any recipes or recommendations would be great. :unsure:

i like the easy way! Go to the grocery and find a bottle of the "quick 5 minute marinade" that has liquid smoke in it, its a bottle with a green and yellow label. Also i use the 'fiesta' brand seasonings, fajita rub.

Rub and put a bit of that marinade on each piece of flank steak and let it sit overnight under some plastic wrap, get a good fire going in the morning and let it get hot and smokey and grill. then slice and serve.

Guest jerry

Try to find a mexican grocery store or meat market. they usually have fajitas already marinaded, plus lots of other meats. I have found the prices are better than at a regular grocery store.

Guest Sectx2

I like the Fiesta seasonings the best. You can find them at most grocery stores in Texas. Like one of the posts says, the Fiesta seasonings are dry rubs. I personally do not like the sauce with the liquid smoke. The taste of the liquid smoke is very artifical.

Guest Michael Engelhardt

This recipe was given to me a number of years ago and is very good

2 cups Kikkoman Soy Sauce

2 cups Worcesterhire Sauce

1/2 cup Pineapple juice

Combine in a large bowl.

Take whole skirt steaks (not flank), remove excess fat, and silverskin.

Cut steaks to serving sixe 6-8 inches.

Have charcoal and mesquite wood(soaked in water) very hot

Dip steaks in mixture, grill quickly, only until just done. Baste with sauce as you cook. (DO NOT MARINATE MEAT IN THIS MIXTURE< IT IS TOO STRONG!!!)

Remove meat to cutting board and slice thinly across the grain.

You can also saute onions and poblano peppers in oil and butter with a few tablespoons of marinade to accompany fajitas.

I think, no I know you will like this. And yes I haveadded a Classic coke to the mixture and had good results..

Good Eating

Michael Engelhardt

The Campfire Gourmet

Juice of 1 lime

Guys and Gals:

Trust me on this. If Mike says it is good it is GREAT.

I have had the pleasure of eating many meals he has prepared, some in a kitchen and some over all campfire. The were all good and memorable too boot. :mango:

:P Mike, I have the same exact marinade recipe from Steak and Ale for their Kensington Club steak. I agree, makes for fantastic flavored meat. Also is the same marinate for S & A's Hawaiian Chicken.

My husband and I are competition BBQ cookers and travel all over southeast TX. We have tried many recipes for fajitas, the ONLY one we've found that beats all is (believe this or not) H.E. B. Grocery store's pre-marinated chicken, and beef fajitas.... slap em on a grill and yum! (they won 1st place twice at the county cook-off).

I truly believe that most of those restaurants use liquid smoke alot because they don't cook on a true wood-source. That might be where their special flavoring comes from.

:P  H.E. B.  Grocery store's pre-marinated chicken, and beef fajitas....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, pretty snobby about fajita's, and HEB's are the best and most tender. Otherwise, use bottled Italian salad dressing, marinate for at LEAST 24 hours and for heaven's sake, get the butcher to tenderize the skirt steaks after he trims the skin and excess waste. :P