dianejones

Help Me Identify This Frankoma Bowl

Please help me identify my frankoma bowl. This is a shallow serving bowl only about 1.5" deep. 10" across the top with a 1.75" lip. The design looks like dessert flowers. The color is fawn or butterscotch. I have a picture, but don't know how to load on this page.

Thank you,

Diane

It's not often that I am unable to find just about anything I need to know in one of my Frankoma books, but this is one of those times. Thank you for sending me the photos. Here they are:

unknown_frt_back.jpg

This is a gorgeous piece. I can tell from the backstamp that it is from the 1940s or early 1950s. It is most definitely Ada clay. The glaze on your piece, by the way, is Desert Gold. Desert Gold looks very different on Sapulpa clay.

The Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery by Gary V. Schaum contains hundreds of photos, but not every piece Frankoma ever made is pictured. The Price Guide in the back of the book attempts to list all of the known Frankoma pieces, and I have been through that list several times trying to find a listing for a piece that fits the description of this bowl. So far, I have been unsuccessful.

I have seen this piece on eBay a few times in the last several years, but not often. And as I mentioned in my email to you, I have also seen a similar bowl with a zodiac border that is very like this piece. But I cannot find any information about it either. I will keep looking.

In the meantime, come on all you Frankoma experts out there. Help us out here!

if you go to page l31 of Susan Cox's book, Frankoma treasures, you will find your piece of Frankoma there, it is called a carved cactus bowl, mold number207. 10 inches. It perhaps is misnamed here, but that is what she called it. McBain in his price guide lists it probable worth between $75 and $100. As you know EBAY sets the market. hope this helps you out, thanks, revjay

if you go to page l31 of Susan Cox's book, Frankoma treasures, you will find your piece of Frankoma there, it is called a carved cactus bowl, mold number207. 10 inches. It perhaps is misnamed here, but that is what she called it. McBain in his price guide lists it probable worth between $75 and $100. As you know EBAY sets the market. hope this helps you out, thanks, revjay

Ah, thanks- I have been looking for hours for the pattern name of my recently found Frankoma bowl. I have this in a lovely prairie green, ada clay, but no mark. I should have it on ebay this first week of December, 2008. Thanks again- SteveB