LovePottery

Need Help With Identification - New To Frankoma!

Hello all! I have always loved collecting pottery, but have only recently gotten my hands on my first piece of Frankoma. I don't know anything about it, except what I found out on the internet. I don't want to purchase a book yet, because I don't have any other pieces.

Anyway, I have a cannister that measures 7" tall with the lid on and says "Frankoma 26C" on the bottom. It's navy blue in color and has an hour glass shape to it with bands or curves in the center (only two).

Can anyone help me with this? I'd love to know what I've got and if it's of any value. Thanks a bunch!!

Your #26C is a Coffee Cannister, and its book value is $15-$18. It was part of a series that included several other cannisters, a 1-quart pitcher, juice glasses and S&P shakers. Frankoma first began producing the #26C in 1968 but, since yours is Navy, it's pretty safe to say that it was made in or after 1985 (that's when they began using the Navy glaze).

If you do like Frankoma, I strongly recommend that you get Gary Schaum's book Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery. Otherwise, you will have no idea what you're buying and whether you're paying a fair price for it. I speak with authority on this subject because I did exactly what you are doing when I first started buying Frankoma. I just bought what appealed to me, in flea markets, collectible shops and on eBay, and as a result, I now have quite a few pieces that I would just as soon not have.

You can learn quite a bit by watching the Frankoma auctions on eBay, but there's a lot of misinformation and some downright misrepresentation on eBay, too, so the book is a good investment. I just checked amazon.com, and you can get a new copy through a third-party vendor for $23.

But don't let me dampen your enthusiasm. I hope you become a real Frankoma fan and enjoy it as much as I do.