I have recently purchased several pieces of Fiesta Ware and I'm trying to deterime if it is vintage or not. The markings are fired into the glaze. Some pieces say HLC and other pieces have a small "o" in the middle of the opening of the "C". Can you tell me what the difference is. Thank you.

There are better, less confusing, ways to tell than by the backstamps. Color, shape of the piece, and whether the "foot" is glazed or not come immediately to mind. Over the years and years of Fiesta production, HLC has used a variety of backstamps -- some of them are identical on both old and Post-1986 pieces, since many of the same molds were used in both the old and new pieces.

Fiesta produced prior to 1986 is referred to as "vintage," and most of the vintage colors are easily identifiable, turquoise and pearl gray being exceptions. The shape of the piece can also be an indication. For example, the vintage caraffe is distinctively different from the Post-1986 caraffe, and there are many other such examples.

If you can email me a photo or describe which pieces you have, their colors, and so forth, I believe I can be more helpful. Hope to hear from you soon.