myra

Please Help W/ Marking On Piece

I have a Phoebe in Ada clay done in desert gold-on the bottom is 730 & the copyright symbol & the initials P.M.----what doe the initials mean? What would it be worth? Can't find another in this color--thanks a bunch. M

Myra --

The #730 Phoebe wall vase seems to have had an interesting past. It was originally manufactured from 1948 to 1949. For reasons unknown to me (maybe someone out there knows), but probably because of popular demand, the Phoebe was reissued from 1951 to 1952 as #194. Up to this point, they were all Ada clay pieces. The Phoebe found new life again from 1973 to 1975, this time as #130 and, finally was reissued for the last time in 1996 and was in production just about as long as the old Frankoma enterprise lasted. The pieces from 1973 on were of Sapulpa clay. Since your piece is a #730, it can be assumed that it is made of Ada clay.

Since it was in production for such a long time, off and on, the Phoebe can be found in many glazes, including Desert Gold. There are some Frankoma fans who specialize in collecting the Phoebe in all her many colors.

As for the initials, it is not unheard of for Frankoma pieces to bear the initials of a Frankoma employee involved in the molding process -- probably more like the unmolding process. The initials would have been incised prior to firing. If I looked back through all my issues of the Frankoma Family Collectors Association newsletter, I might be able to find a mention of a Frankoma employee with those initials during the time the #730 was being made.

Gary Schaum's book lists values for the #730s at $100-$125, the #194 also at $100-$125, and the #130 from $75-$125.