Purrfektmoment

Homer Laughlin Yellowstone Shape Dated 1908

Hello, I have looked everywhere for information about the following pattern: Yellowstone shape (octagon), white with apple blossom near the rim.

Circa: 1908

Pattern: HLC2510 by HOMER LAUGHLIN CO [HLCHLC2510]

Description: [YELLOWSTONE] WHITE FLORAL, PINK BUDS

A photo can be seen at the following site:

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/HLCHLC2510.htm

I have read on different sites that the Yellowstone pattern began in the 1920's, however the date on the backstamp is definitely 1908. Does anyone know anything about this pattern? Does anyone know anyone who owns this pattern?

To research your question properly, I consulted Homer Laughlin: Decades of Dinnerware, the most definitive, all-inclusive book about Homer Laughlin dishes that I know of. It's a huge book with hundreds of photographs of shapes and patterns and tons of information. I'll tell you what I learned, but I'll tell you: I would dearly love to get a look at the back side of that dish. Here's why:

First of all about the backstamp, I read that "Before 1910 there is no effort to include date or manufacturing information in the backstamp."

Next, I could not find your apple blossom decal anywhere, not just in the Yellowstone section, but in the whole book. But according to the book:

. . . Homer Laughlin utilized the same decal over and over to create new "patterns." . . . What does this mean to you as a collector or one seeking a specific pattern? It means there are endless variations on many Homer Laughlin pattern themes. While we have worked diligently to gather hundreds of Homer Laughlin patterns for this book, there are thousands yet to be discovered. In a practical sense it means that you may find your pattern, or what appears to be your pattern, on a shape different from yours or on mixed shapes, a practice common in later years. This does not mean your set is somehow incorrectly assembled, it means you are experiencing one of the multitude of "other" variations on a theme Homer Laughlin devised over the decades.

I also could not find a pattern with the number 2510.

It is true that HLC began making Yellowstone in the Twenties -- from 1926 to 1937 and perhaps later.

Despite the fact that I did not find any trace of your pattern in my research, it may just be one of the thousands of patterns that are undiscovered and unidentified. That's why I'd like to see the backstamp. Maybe it would clarify things -- maybe not. It is not clear from your post if the piece that's pictured is yours or not. If it is, please see if you can get us a photo. If it isn't and you're considering buying it, I would insist that the seller provide you with a good, clear photo of the backstamp.

Thank you for sharing this mystery with us.

I would be glad to send you a photo of the backstamp, however I don't know how to insert a photo. When I tried it wanted a URL. If you could explain what I need to do or send me an email address that I might send the photo to, I could do that. By the way, the set belongs to me. The number '2510' comes from the www.replacement.com site and if you look at that photo, it looks like apple blossoms to me, but I'm not an expert on flowers. The majority of the backstamps read "F 8 N 5", I have not checked all pieces, in fact I just picked up one out of the set that reads "J 7 N 6". Hope to hear back with instructions soon. Lori

Now that I know the numbers and letters on the back of your dishes, I think we can solve the mystery in part.

The backstamp system used by HLC differed depending upon the decade of production. As I said earlier, the company made no effort to include the date on dinnerware prior to 1910.

From 1910 to 1919, they used a simple three-character code, two numbers followed by a letter. The first number denoted the month of production, the second number denoted the year, and the letter identified the plant or building that produced the piece. For example, 3 6 N would mean March, 1916, Plant N.

From 1920 to 1921, the code was changed slightly in that the year was indicated by 20 or 21. For example, 6 20 N would mean June, 1920, Plant N.

From 1922 to 1929, they substituted a letter for the month of production (A for January, B for February, and so forth, except the letter "I" was not used). And a single digit was used to denote the year within the decade. Thus D 7 N would mean April, 1927, Plant N.

Beginning in 1930, they retained the letter to designate the month, but began using two digits to denote the year. The plant designation remained the same, although some of the plants have both a letter and number designation. Thus C 39 N5 would mean March, 1939, Plant N-5.

Because your pieces have a single digit as the second character, I now know that they were produced in the 1920s. Your F 8 N 5 pieces were made in February of 1928 in Plant N-5, and the J 7 N 6 piece was made in January of 1927 in Plant N-6.

Many pieces produced after 1930 have no dating or production information included in the backstamp, but many patterns retained the system up to 1959. I wouldn't swear to it, but I think the system was discontinued then.

So the only remaining mystery is the pattern or design on your piece. Like the book says, there are thousands of unidenfied and undiscovered HLC patterns out there, and I think you may have one.

I was unaware of the single digit being used in the 1920's, but I am glad that you were able to offer this information. It would be interesting to find someone who is familiar with this pattern. Thanks so much for your interest and help. I hope the photos help to solve this mystery.

Lori

Reader Purrfektmoment was good enough to send photos of her set of Yellowstone dishes with the mystery decal. It has taken me entirely too long to get the photos posted, but here they are:

unknown_yellowstone_decal.jpg

unknown_yellowstone_decal_b.jpg

What a lovely set of dishes! If this particular decal is known to any of you Fiesta fans out there, please let us hear from you.

Hi, I am new. HELP. lol. Several years ago, I found a homer laughlin platter in my grandmothers china cabinet after she had passed. It is very old I'm sure. Also very heavy. I have searched every where to find out what it is. Finally came up with Yellowstone, Floral Center and Gold Floral, althought the flowers along the edge look silver not gold. I've never seen anything like it though still.

The bottom says L 32N. So from the posts i read above that means it was made March 1912? Is that correct?

Anyone that might know about this pattern or how much its worth, or would just like to see it. Please feel free to contact me. It is truly a wonderful piece. Any help for the clueless is greatly appreciated.

I wanted to post a pic here but am unsure how to. Please feel free to email me and I can show you the pics.

Nickispc@aol.com

Thanks