Claire

Frankoma Open Carafe 82 - Sooo Many Colors - Need help with Yellow Color and Clay

have a yellow carafe, but what shade of yellow is it?

Close up it looks  a banana with light brown specks.  If it's Sunflower Yellow (yellow with brown specks) 1958 - 1960.

Ada Clay  1933-1954

Sapulpa Clay  ( Brick Red) 1954 -1979

Sapulpa with additives ( Pink) 1980s -

The dates aren't adding up for the color &  Clay. Please help . Thanks

DSC02531.JPG

DSC02532.JPG

DSC02533.JPG

Hi Claire,

You have a #82 6-cup carafe, and I'm certain that glaze is Sunflower Yellow. Frankoma began production on that piece in 1958, so that rules out Ada clay. The carafe was in production for quite a few years and during those years, Sapulpa clay went through several different changes. The piece came with a lid which is not shown in your photo, so I don't know if you have it. The carafe and lid are pictured on page 176 of Gary V. Schaum's book, "Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery," and further described on page 187 with production dates and value estimates ($25-$45) depending upon color and condition. The Schaum book is out of print now, but used copies are often found on ebay and amazon.com. If you're interested in Frankoma, it's invaluable.

I hope this helps, and if you have more questions, please let me know.

Patricia Mitchell

TexasCooking.com