Kyle

Building A Set Of Frankoma Dishware

:D I am very happy to have found this forum.

I have loved Frankoma since I was a kid - my mom has a set of the wagon wheel dishes.

I am building a set of Frankoma by looking at Ebay and other possibilities. I have a question - because coloring does not always come through reliably on Ebay or their descriptions.

I just purchased a cereal bowl with 4Z on the bottom and I believe that it was listed as Desert Gold, which is what I want. It is beautiful and just what the doctor orderec! :D

Can someone tell me if I stick to the numbers on the bottom ie - 4N, 4X, etc. that this will be the same color/pattern?

I have not made it to the library yet for a book - but hesitate to purchase if they are not of the same type/color.

Thank you!

Kyle

Kyle,

My understanding is the stamp on the bottom is the stock number (aka mold number). So, you can match patterns this way. The number is the pattern and the letters are the plate, saucer, cup, etc. You can't determine color from it. As for the color, I find any Desert Gold piece will blend with any other Desert Gold piece which is not to say everyone on Ebay really knows what Desert Gold is.

Perhaps one of the more experienced collector's will enlighten us for sure. I only have a few pieces of dinnerware.

Debra

Debra,

Thank you - I tend to agree that Desert Gold can cover a lot of what people think is that color. I just purchased two vegetable bowls and they look to be more buckskin than Desert Gold. However, most everything else I am getting blends very well together.

I think my goal is to have similar blended colors and not necessarily the same pattern throughout. More personal that way.

Well, off to happy hunting grounds for more!

Kyle

Kyle --

The five vintage Frankoma dinnerware patterns are Lazybones, Plainsman, Westwind, Mayan-Aztec and Wagon Wheels. You can easily identify the pattern with the mold number.

Lazybones pieces are all 4's followed by a letter which identifies the piece. Your piece, for example, is 4Z. That's a 6-inch salad bowl. The other patterns are as follows:

Plainsman - 5 (Example: 5F is a 10-inch plate)

Westwind - 6 (Example: 6N is a 1-quart bowl)

Mayan-Aztec - 7 (Example: 7K is a butter dish)

Wagon Wheels - 94 (Example: 94P is a 17-inch platter)

The number/letter combinations identify pattern and piece -- not glaze color. Until you have looked at a lot of Frankoma, the colors can be tricky and, yes, they are sometimes misidentified on eBay. This is where a book will do you a world of good. I recommend Collector's Guide to Frankoma Pottery by Gary V. Schaum. It's filled with excellent photos and very comprehensive information, and it's available on eBay for $24.95. However, Desert Gold is a common glaze and fairly easy to identify, although there is a difference in color depending upon whether the piece is of Ada or Sapulpa clay.

I'm sure you will have a great time collecting your Lazybones and, if you have any more questions, I hope you will post them.

:D Well, my DH is having fun getting packages with Frankoma in it!

Thanks for the info on the numbers/markings! I, too, found that information so have it written down. :banana:

I am having so much fun looking and buying this stuff. My DH likes it and although we are not planning on achieving a perfectly matched set, we have had success with close enough. We like the idea of having a mixture of dishes.

However, I have a really dumb question - can Frankoma be put in the dishwasher? I am thinking 'no.' I am also thinking no way Jose for the microwave.

Thanks!

Kyle