marketymark

Frankoma teapot black onyx

Howdy! I have this black Frankoma teapot in excellent condition. I believe it's a Black Onyx glaze, (pretty rare, I think) on Ada clay but I'd love to hear from folks who know more than I do. It would be great to get an idea of its value, too. The maker's mark reads Frankoma 6T. There are some pictures below.Thanks so much! 

Mark

IMG_8905.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

IMG_8911.JPG

From the Frankoma 1981 Catalog page, 6T is a 6-cup teapot (as opposed to the smaller version -- 6J). Apparently, your teapot originally sold for $8.50, but that price is totally irrelevant today.  It's hard to judge colors in online photos, but the clay in the teapot body does not match the clay in the lid. The dark red clay Frankoma used after it stopped using Ada clay gradually gave way to dark pink, then lighter pink and eventually to a light clay. I have the 6J teapot in Sunflower Yellow and have noticed that the clay in the body and lid also don't match. (Sunflower was used only between 1958 and 1960.) My best Frankoma source book pictures this piece (6T), but is silent on production dates. My gut feeling is this piece could have been made anywhere from in the late fifties to the early eighties since it was in the 1981 catalog. I'm sorry I can't be more specific, but I can't find any documentation to help me out here. For more information, you might try one of the Frankoma fan sites on Facebook or taking a look on eBay. Please let us know if you find out anything interesting.

Thanks so much for the information! You're absolutely right that the clay in the lid is redder than the clay in the teapot itself. So I guess that narrows it down to Saplupa clay. I'll put it online at Etsy, sometimes collectors make comments there too, and if I'll let you know if anything interesting develops: )