KDR

122 Collie in Flat Black

I am not a Frankoma collector, but found a beautiful collie bookend at the thrift store.  It is flat black and a little over 7” tall.  I think it is form #122.  I can’t find anything online that would give me an idea of its worth.  There isn’t anything like it on eBay.  Can you help me learn more?

8D640D8A-A6E0-435F-A2C5-7BB8C4D89C52.jpeg

591076B6-6E54-4225-BFFB-7B20D27CA81B.jpeg

32E206A3-1FC8-45EA-9D83-A809E7CB88CE.jpeg

Congratulations on your great find. This lovely sculptured collie's head is one of Frankoma's finest. I believe the glaze is gun metal, which would date it between 1933 and 1938. I'm at my office at the moment and without access to my Frankoma research materials, so I cannot give you a value approximation. I will get back to you, hopefully this evening, with more information.

KDR - I just got to the notification about this post - but saw that you had asked about it in the FB Frankoma Pottery Fans group.  The answers you received were on target " The clay is Sapulpa making this piece produced after 1954. All were produced circa 1958 or later."  It is a nice piece.  I have one in Brown, which is the primary color of Frankoma I collect.