Jane Caras

Newbie here. Love and worry

I bought a gorgeous collection of dishes, bowls mugs etc.. from an estate sale on line.  They were sent to me and are honestly the most beautiful pieces!  In doing research this morning, I realize that the dishes are from 1980 and the mugs are 1948, etc.. I am worried about lead.  I am a cancer survivor and I also have children.  I don't think I can drink out of these mugs or serve my family from the plates as much as I would love to.  I paid a pretty price for this collection and didn't do my research.  My bad. Any insight?  At this point I think I may have to take them to a consignment store.  I wanted them for my family.  SO SO beautiful!  Any suggestions?  18 plates, 8 bowls, 8 mugs, pitcher, etc... They are Plainsman.  Thank you.  

In addition to the Frankoma Pottery FAQ page posted by plm555 - you can go to the "Frankoma Pottery Fans" facebook group - and search for "lead".  There has been several discussion as new people hear about the lead issue and ask like you did.  Many people have used their Frankoma dishes daily for 40+ years and there has not been any reports of someone getting lead poisoning from Frankoma.  Kandy McClendon Steeples, who worked at Frankoma for over 30 years posted this reply:  "Frankoma was always produced within FDA guidelines. All manufacturers producing in the Unites States had to follow those guide lines and testing occurred frequently. There are still some glazes that have lead components available today. Those glazes are so costly to dispose of, most manufacturers are no longer producing them. You need to be careful of imported pottery where they don't follow FDA guidelines. I am not, nor have I ever been afraid of any Frankoma, but each person has to decide what they're comfortable using."