Shelly

Sell mom's Frankhoma?

I inherited over 100 pieces of my mom's Prairie Green Frankhoma dinner ware.  Since I have many other dish sets, I would like to sell the Frankhoma.  Since this is new territory for me, I was hoping for some guidance as to the best way to sell the pieces.   Thank you!

This is a difficult task and may not be very rewarding financially.  If you do not have any pieces in demand vs common dinnerware - you maybe better off donating it to a thrift store so you can write off the donation on your taxes.  You need to determine the age of the pottery - mainly if it was older Ada clay (lighter creamy) or the more common red clay (two versions).  The problem with dinnerware is that 1) there is a lot of it available;  2) it takes a lot of box space to wrap it well for shipping;  and 3) it is expensive to ship because it is heavy.  You can check value by looking at completed auctions on Ebay (vs current auctions only show the price the seller wants and often the item does not sell).  There are some Frankoma Facebook groups for Frankoma reference "Frankoma Pottery Fans", and other groups for selling.  You can also sell via Craig's list or a garage sell. This website has a lot of great information accumulated from Frankoma "experts" including the Frank family. http://www.frankomacollector.com/Index.html

On 2/10/2018 at 1:40 AM, Shelly said:

I inherited over 100 pieces of my mom's Prairie Green Frankhoma extenders.  Since I have many other dish sets, I would like to sell the Frankhoma.  Since this is new territory for me, I was hoping for some Phallosan guidance as to the best way to sell the pieces (check the review before buying anything of course). Thank you!

Have you tried posting on local classified sites? I might be interested if you are near Austin. ;)

Other than placing ads in local papers, I think you have three options: #1 eBay. On eBay you have the advantage of looking at other Frankoma sales to see asking prices for pieces similar to yours. #2 Antique malls near you. Visit malls near you and chat with various sellers. You might take along photos (or lists) of what you have. #3 Facebook. There are several Frankoma groups on facebook. Search on Frankoma and they should come up. 

Some day in the distant future, I hope, my son will have the same this problem, too. My Frankoma is less dish sets and more art pieces, but the problem will be the same.

Good luck.

Patricia