I bought a bean pot with a stand.  The inside of the pot has chips inside and orange stains.  I'm concerned about both.  Don't want to cook with chips out of the glaze.  Is that safe?  I was told by the seller that the orange stains are a normal for a vintage piece.  She also said that the bean pot was intended for heating, hence the warming stand that would use a tea light.  I assumed pottery would be used for cooking as well .  Am I crazy or is she lying?  Thanks for your time!

I'm sorry for the delay - very behind with email.  After reading just now, I wasn't sure how to answer without pictures.  I went to the Frankoma Pottery Friends FB page and searched for "safe to use".  Saw a post by Joan Wagner on 1/25 with your same words that also included pictures.  I'm guessing that Joan is you - catcuchilo@hotmail.com?  I see the comments from Janice Spillane and others.  I agree with Janice as she knows more about Frankoma than me.  I don't see from the pictures and your comments how they can tell that your bean pot is Ada clay (oldest - light cream colored).  However, I seldom have tried to bake in my Frankoma - except at a very low temperature and with newer pieces.  Frankoma is known for crazing / glaze cracking and I would be careful of how I used a piece that had a lot of crazing.  Jane