Rusty18

Early Frankoma Piece

Thanks for reading about my Frankoma story. My Mom, 92 years old, gave me this cup recently. She is from

Norman OK and received this cup as an award when she was in 2nd grade in elementary school. I thought some

of you Frankoma folks might enjoy seeing it. I know just a little about Frankoma pottery having seen some of

pieces in our family and I have a few pretty pieces that I've picked up over the years but I'm no expert nor have

very many pieces but I do like Frankoma designs very much!

The Cup has "Medical Auxiliary Prize" &  and "1934"  in recessed letters and the marking FRANKOMA in block

letters on the bottom of cup.

Just wanted to share this as I believe it is an early piece from Frankoma Pottery Co. Would love to hear any comments.

Thanks,

IMG_2258.JPG.42b21165d7b7b6ebcbbc92f98300b6db.JPGIMG_2257.JPG.82eff36a4d47c65ad80c6545c840c91d.JPGIMG_2256.JPG.90737f7a8936156086cec87c23aa37ef.JPGIMG_2255.thumb.jpg.40a33384ec146b233d3ef8ad614f422a.jpg

Thanks, Rusty, for sharing this. Frankoma made countless specialty pieces, and your mom was fortunate indeed to have received this little cup. I believe this piece is known as a child's cup, and there's no doubting its date.

Thanks again and best wishes.

Patricia Mitchell

TexasCooking.com

Very interesting Rusty. It is one of the oldest pieces of Frankoma I have seen.  There are over 2000 Frankoma collectors in a Facebook group called Frankoma Pottery Fans that would love to see this, if you would care to share it.  The group includes former and current Frankoma employees and Frank family members.  Here is a little history of Frankoma which shows how early this cup is: Frankoma Pottery was founded by John Nathaniel Frank, who was born in Chicago on January 31, 1905. A university art teacher, he accepted a position at the University of Oklahoma's newly created Ceramic Art Department where he taught courses in ceramics from 1927 to 1936. 
While Frank was still teaching, the he purchased a small building in Norman, Oklahoma to house their new business, Frank Potteries, which later became Frankoma Potteries. 
In 1933, John Frank met Joseph Taylor, who joined the University of Oklahoma Art Department. Taylor became a lifelong friend and eventually went on to design many of the early Frankoma Pottery sculptures. In February, 1938, the Franks moved to Sapulpa, Oklahoma, and built their new plant on the legendary Route 66, just outside of town.