jbacinti

Butterscotch Pie Recipe

You can use either light or dark brown sugar depending upon your personal preference. The pie pictured on our recipe page was made with light brown sugar, and it is most definitely delicious. Dark brown sugar would give an excellent result, too, with perhaps an equally sweet but deeper flavor. Try it and let us know what you think!

Yours is a good question. Thank you for writing.

Texas Cooking Crew

I used light brown sugar and it tasted great. However I do have another problem having tried the recipe for the first time. The pie would not set up. I followed the instructions explicitly as I believe when trying something new, don't fool around with it until you have a base to work from.

I knew something was wrong when I poured the batter into the pie shell as it was quite runny. It was almost impossible to spread the meringue. After being refrigerated for over 24 hours, it set up a bit more but not enough. Just wondering what I did wrong or if there are some changes needed before I make it again.

Thanks,

jbacinti

My personal taste buds do not detect a noticeable difference between dark and light brown sugar in this recipe. However, the color of the custard will be darker when using dark brown sugar. This pie recipe is scrumptious both ways, but light brown sugar makes the filling look more butterscotchy (I don't think that's a real word, but you get my drift).

I hope this answers your question, and thanks for writing.

TexasCooking.com

Thanks folks on the light vs dark sugar. I used light. My problem was that the pudding. if that's what you call the butterscotch filling, was very runny and did not set up. The fact that it was that way made it almost impossible to spread the meringue and even refrigerated for over 24 hours did not set up the pie. I followed the recipe to the letter. Any ideas as to what might have happened?

Thanks again,

jbacinti

Hi Jbacinti:

I've made the Butterscotch Pie recipe on Texas Cooking many times. At this part of the recipe it thickens: "Slowly stir half the hot mixture into the well-beaten egg yolks; then, beat the egg mixture back into the remaining hot mixture. Cook for an additional two minutes. "

You're making a pudding. Make sure that you have fresh ingredients like eggs and milk. Perhaps with some combination of this you didn't cook it long enough. I'd try it again and see if it comes out better. That's more or less how cooking works for me.

The good news is one you have making this filling down, you can also make our Lemon Meringue PIe and Chocolate Meringue Pie recipes!

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Steve