Sign in to follow this  
bigdaddie59

Wild Pork

Texas is currently home to over 3.5 million wild pigs. With the population expanding every day with no end in sight. Now being an avid hunter, I've eaten my share of wild pork. It seems to be more healthier than store bought pork,less fatty. I have a recipe for wild pork stew that I make and is delicious. Just start with about 1 1/2-2 pounds of wild pork cubed up.Salt and pepper to taste and let it sit in the ice box for several hours so the seasoning will soak in. Next use a scant 1/4 cup of flour and coat all sides of cubes. In a big dutch oven on high heat,brown the pork until brown on all sides making sure you scrape the bottom really good to get all the flavor bits loosened up.and drain most of excessive oil off and add enough water to cover meat and bring to a boil. Let it boil for 10 minutes then reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. Peel and cut up 4-5 medium white potatoes,2 stalks celery,and have a bag of baby carrots on hand,also peel and cut up 2 sweet potatoes.Add all the vegetables along with a peeled, Texas 1015 sweet onion and simmer ,stirring occasionally until veggies ate cooked tender. Oh don't worry it makes it's own gravy. There ain.t nothing any better than this wild pig stwe on a cold,rainy day here in the Great State of Texas! (This reminds me of my old Grandmother's recipe for roasted possum with sweet potatoes).