Sign in to follow this  
Dohono

Frankoma Pitcher Leaching Brown Goo

I have been collecting prairie green Frankoma for 15 years or so. I use the dishes daily. Recently I purchased a large picture and I noticed it started leaching out a brown odd goo like material. It smelled and looked earthy. Any idea what this could be?

Boy! This is a new one on me. I've been collecting Frankoma for about the same amount of time as you, but I mainly collect the art pottery. I have some Wagon Wheel dishes, but I just display them. Most of my stuff is Ada clay. I would be interested in knowing how old your Prairie Green pitcher is. Is it Ada clay or Sapulpa? And have you checked the inside of the piece to make sure that it's completely glazed?

I have no idea what the "goo" could be. Come on, readers. If anyone can shed some light on this, please do so.

Thank you for your reply, I have noticed several of my pitchers from various years, also have this same brown goo "leaching." Basically, I first noticed a larger pitcher doing this when I filled it with water and left it on the counter for a couple of hours. I also have a drinking glass and cup that does this. Perhaps could someone try this with a few pieces of their sets to see if this happen? I can take pics if needed. I am so curious.